Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Transmission rebuild question

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Transmission rebuild question

I have a 2000 Camaro SS M6 and have noticed that 2nd gear has been grinding quite a bit lately. My question is how much should I be expecting to pay to get this fixed. While I'm at it I want to go ahead and get all the wek points taken care of in the transmission such as shift forks and synchros updated to the newer ones. (I've read that mine has aluminum shift fork and non carbon synchros). Also I've read about updating the hydralics because they weren't great in the stock car. Do I just need to do the drill mod for this? I hope to get a mild cam and maybe a set of heads someday and putting down between 400-450HP. What should I expect to pay to get the transmission up to par and what all should I have done to it to handle this. Much thanks for any help you guys can give me.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Depends on the hookup you can get on labor.

I'd say a typical bench rebuild (where you remove & reinstall the trans) would be $275 plus parts. Parts can be anywhere from ~$250 for the basics (synchro kit, snap rings, and a steel 3-4 fork), up to $1200 for parts if you get crazy with it (replacing sliders, gears, mainshaft, etc). My trannies have hit both ends of the spectrum (I rebuild my own, as I've torn 'em up before ).

You might find someone cheaper to rebuild it on labor, but parts is parts. If you just call around to get quotes, without telling them what parts you want installed, odds are good they'll highball you to cover themselves ("that'll cost $2000"). If it only needs $250 in parts, that's good scratch for them. If it's $1000 in parts, it's not as good, but they've still made money. I think that's how transmission shops work.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with Camaro. I rebuilt mine not to long ago, cost me about 650 total, but I needed all new synchro assemblied and 3rd and 6th speed gears. Seems most shops (gearbox, D@D, etc.) charge ~250 for labor plus whatever parts it needs. If you don't have access to a shop press you might want to send it to somebody.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
Depends on the hookup you can get on labor.

I'd say a typical bench rebuild (where you remove & reinstall the trans) would be $275 plus parts. Parts can be anywhere from ~$250 for the basics (synchro kit, snap rings, and a steel 3-4 fork), up to $1200 for parts if you get crazy with it (replacing sliders, gears, mainshaft, etc). My trannies have hit both ends of the spectrum (I rebuild my own, as I've torn 'em up before ).

You might find someone cheaper to rebuild it on labor, but parts is parts. If you just call around to get quotes, without telling them what parts you want installed, odds are good they'll highball you to cover themselves ("that'll cost $2000"). If it only needs $250 in parts, that's good scratch for them. If it's $1000 in parts, it's not as good, but they've still made money. I think that's how transmission shops work.

Want to rebuild mine? I'm from Killeen and travel down there quite often and go right through Waco. Thanks for the help to everyone that has posted.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Honestly, I don't have time to do it. Sorry. I don't even have time to work on my own stuff right now. And wife is 8 1/2 months pregnant... I can't do ANYTHING.

Anyone around here know if Tom (Bugsqwasher) is still around? He's in Austin, and rebuilds 'em pretty cheap, but I haven't seen/heard from him in a while.

Quick Reply: Transmission rebuild question