Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Any Pro shifted T56s here?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 07:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are several of us with pro-shifted T56's here.

You can drive them on the street. They're just a pain in the *** (double clutching and waiting for the internals to spin down before you shift to first), but it's driveable. You can build it with or without the 5-6 gears as well (mine has 5 & 6, synchronized).

It rocks at the strip, though. Mine just started popping out of third (it happens when they start to wear in). Just have to hold it in 3rd now.

As for "street legal", umm, whatever. Dump trucks don't have synchros either, and they're street legal.

It cost about $275 for the parts from Liberty, and I assembled it myself.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinkin of Proshifting my Tranny. I decided against it after hearing the pro rings get burred up and you need to send them back to liberty every so often to be serviced.

I was on Liberties site the other day and saw something called FacePlate Engagement. Said it was availiable for some Transmissions. I sent them an email and here is there reply

Face plating for the T-56 transmissions is just now going into production. We should have it available by the end of June.

With pro shifting, as the pro rings wear from normal use, they burr up and require dressing and/or deburring to maintain smooth shifting.

With face plating, the engagement lugs are on the face of the slider so if they burr up it does not affect shift action. The lugs also have a much larger contact area and a back cut on the drive and coast sides making them much more durable so longevity is increased dramatically and there is virtually no chance of popping out of gear making for a much more streetable set up.

We have been face plating 3550 style Tremec transmissions for about 1-1/2 years now and have not replaced any face plates yet. The T-56 will be even more durable due to the larger size.

Thanks for your inquiry!
I will be trying this. It looks like a viable option to pro shifting, and is a helluvalot cheaper than goin the G-Force route!

Brad
Old 05-30-2005, 10:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

how hard is it to drive?
Old 05-31-2005, 09:44 AM
dug
Banned

The faceplating sounds promising. Popping out of 3rd gear would get on my nerves though.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:29 PM
11 Second Club

With the face plating you don't have to worry about it poppin out of gear.

Brad