Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

manual transmission pedals...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default manual transmission pedals...

I got my used manual transmission pedals in today, but something doesnt seem right. The gas and brake are hanging there which is normal, but the clutch, has a spring attached to it, and when you push the clutch so far down the spring engages, and then holds the clutch in. "Note: Pedals are NOT installed in car yet)" When I hook the clutch to the master cylinder, will that push the clutch pedal back up? I always thought the clutch springs up, but it instead is pulling down? Is this normal?
Old 06-02-2005, 12:11 AM
12 Second Club

That spring is an over-center spring. Meaning...that it helps hold the clutch pedal in the UP position as well as helps push it DOWN. The LT1 6-speed pedals didn't have this spring, but te LS1 6-speed pedals do. When I did my conversion...I removed the spring due to clearance problems in my car (Caprice) and have had no ill affects.

HTH,

Gary
Old 06-02-2005, 08:16 AM
TECH Regular

that is exactly how my 6 speed pedals were when I put them in. When you do the swap, it is a lot easier to get the new pedals in if you take the gas pedal off and reattach it once you get the assembly over the steering shaft.