Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Yet another Spec 3 Install...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Yet another Spec 3 Install...

Finished it tonight...pedal feels the same as the stock clutch. I used the Buschman method to bench bleed the m/c using the slave simulator and then bled the slave on the car. Install went pretty smooth...nuthin went wrong.

I didnt have the PP and flywheel balanced at all because no one in the Des Moines area does that. I dont have any balance problems and the car seems to be smoother after the install. I had the stock FW resurfaced (took off .015").

I hardly have any chatter....just a tiny bit if I let the clutch out too fast. Shifting got smoother as the revs stay up between shifts...dunno why though

TIPS:

-Drain tranny before removing
-Use your right hand (palm facing tranny) to put in the torque arm bolt mount..took me 2 minutes.
-Fill the tranny through the shifter hole instead of that little 'fill' hole. Stock 6-spd takes 4 qts of Dexron III. Mine took 3.5 qts after reinstalling.
-If you have access to a hoist/tranny jack, use it (My neighbor has one in his backyard pole building )
Old 06-11-2005, 11:37 AM
Banned

Thanks for the tip. I hurt my trani last night and I'll do the clutch at the same time. Did you have to bleed the hydraulics? Would it have been easier to remove the trani from the bellhousing and then remove the bellhousing from the engine? I heard there was a very long extention need If you did the whole assembly at once.
Old 06-11-2005, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did have to bleed mine, but thats because I did the drill mod and replaced the slave at the same time of the clutch install. If you dont open the hydraulic system, then you dont have to bleed it...and disconnecting the QD doesnt qualify for opening the system....so you wont have to bleed it.

Yes, you always take the tranny off of the bellhousing first, then remove the bellhousing afterwards...if you dont do it this way, you will end up fighting it a whole lot when you go to reinstall it. You still will need some long extensions to get the top bolts of the tranny. I had two 24" extensions and it was plenty.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:50 AM
Banned

Thanks for the extra advise. Glad it went well for you.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i now have 300mi on my st3. i hope it works better them my last two rams,centerforce and z06. but,it will most likely go out just like the rest of the junk,it seems to be my luck,a new clutch every 2,000mi.

Quick Reply: Yet another Spec 3 Install...