Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Hurt My 6 Sped At The Track Last Night, Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 11:25 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hurt My 6 Sped At The Track Last Night, Suggestions?

There has to be a better track to go to in the future. They kept stopping and starting because of the "threat" of rain, even when there was no rain falling. I got 3 runs in and on the 3rd one at the end of the track I tried to take the gear selector out of 4th and it wouldn't budge. I lightly tapped and it finally went into neutral. It shifted fine going through the pits, but I had a feeling something was wrong. I called it a night and on the drive home I realized that 3rd gear syncro is damaged(keeps popping out of gear) and sometimes it is a lil' difficult to shift out of 4th. I probably bent the shift fork.

So now I'm going to have it rebuilt with bullet proof internals because I plan forced induction in the near future. Does anyone have any recommendations for a shop to send this to? More Performance, MTI, D&D in Michigan? Also while I'm in there I'll upgrade the clutch and I plan to get a lighter billet flywheel(not aluminum). I'm looking for the best bang for the buck all around . Spec 3? I can do all the install work myself in my garage.(Good work,cheap price)

On a lighter note I made some new friends that night and I enjoyed showing off my car and engine bay. Dre, BlkWS6,Pooter00Ws6 brought his Firehawk, Patrick with his hugger orange Camaro, we all met before the track and drove on the interstate convoy style. Must have been a sight!
Old 06-11-2005, 02:05 PM
Banned

Weirdest thing!!!!!! I went to wash the car this morning, and before I started I decided to take a brief drive to see jsut how bad the damage was. To my astonishment the transmission is shifting normally now!!!!! WTF. I upshifted, downshifted, drove hard soft and it ran like a champ. I only drove it about 5 miles total it got up to operating temp. Last night when I got home @ about 1am I was in the garage withthe car off. I moved the shifter through the gears, pushing the clutch when it didn't want to pop in whatever gear. Had some difficulty the first go around then it wouldn't need the cluth the other trips around. I wonder if all I needed to do was realign something out of place? Perhaps the trani is going to break anyway and is on borrowed time, but after this little trip I don't kow what to do. Not going to spend the money for nothing.

Any ideas or comments?
Old 06-11-2005, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
There has to be a better track to go to in the future. They kept stopping and starting because of the "threat" of rain, even when there was no rain falling. I got 3 runs in and on the 3rd one at the end of the track I tried to take the gear selector out of 4th and it wouldn't budge. I lightly tapped and it finally went into neutral. It shifted fine going through the pits, but I had a feeling something was wrong. I called it a night and on the drive home I realized that 3rd gear syncro is damaged(keeps popping out of gear) and sometimes it is a lil' difficult to shift out of 4th. I probably bent the shift fork.

So now I'm going to have it rebuilt with bullet proof internals because I plan forced induction in the near future. Does anyone have any recommendations for a shop to send this to? More Performance, MTI, D&D in Michigan? Also while I'm in there I'll upgrade the clutch and I plan to get a lighter billet flywheel(not aluminum). I'm looking for the best bang for the buck all around . Spec 3? I can do all the install work myself in my garage.(Good work,cheap price)

On a lighter note I made some new friends that night and I enjoyed showing off my car and engine bay. Dre, BlkWS6,Pooter00Ws6 brought his Firehawk, Patrick with his hugger orange Camaro, we all met before the track and drove on the interstate convoy style. Must have been a sight!

My tranny got stuck into 4th at the track like urs did, and all u did was shock the tranny basicly. Mine now shifts normal as well, its just when ur pumped and shifting like a mad man you may have just shifted into 4th a little too hard is all. Ur third gear may not be the syncro, it could be the little plastic peice that brings the two gears together. Without that peice, it'll cause the gears to slip somewhat because its metal on metal, there for it will slip out sometimes. Just my opinio
Old 06-11-2005, 03:58 PM
Banned

Thanks for the reply. It's going to be raining now for the next couple of days so I won't really be able to get a chance to drve it a little bit more. I hope EVERYTHING works fine because I'd hate to take it al down just to change a $.50 peice of metal and it turns into a $1200 rebuild while I'm in there not to mention clutch.