Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Do I need a new flywheel also??

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005 | 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Do I need a new flywheel also??

I have 21,000 miles on my 2002 trans am and it has seen the 1/4 mile only 4 passes. i figure i should go ahead and replace the clutch ahead of time before the stocker goes crap on me, so i was looking at the RAM powergrip clutch, which is around $370 from a sponsor. my question is do i ALSO need a new flywheel to go along with it? or can i get away with using the stock flywheel. what would be the pros/cons of either swapping flywheels or staying with the stocker. 300$ for the flywheel, i wanted some info before i decided to purchase one or not, thanks!
Old 06-26-2005 | 11:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

You can have the stocker reserfaced and be ok. I would get eather a billit steel or aluminum fly wheel, change while your in there. They can handle more abuse than the stock cast flywheel. If you are going to the track alot or going with big power mods go with steel if not the aluminum will be the way to go. Here's some info on the stock clutch, might want to let it go and save up for the flywheel https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/340253-how-long-did-your-stock-clutch-last.html
What disk are you looking at? and HD modle or not?
Old 06-26-2005 | 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well since i dont go to the track that much and its just a weekend and nice weather driver, i was thinkign about jsut the regular powergrip and skipping the HD version
Old 06-26-2005 | 11:34 PM
TECH Addict

I'd buy your clutch of choice, but not install it until the stocker goes south. Unless you have some type of important race coming up, I wouldn't see a reason to swap it out if it's not slipping yet. I did that mistake and sort of regret it. I could have gotten a few more miles out of my stocker. Also, get a steel flywheel if you don't plan to do any roadcoarse/autocross type of racing. I've read that the aluminum flywheels are a little harder to drive in a daily driver due to the fact of having less rotating mass than the steel one, which means you have to give it a little more gas on dead stops so you won't bog down.

You can machine the stock flywheel also, but only so much, your car is fairly new though and doesn't seem to have too many miles so you should be well within those limits. If not, then you can buy a new GM flywheel off ebay for about $50.