Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Sound lk a shifter or tranny problem to you?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 06:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound lk a shifter or tranny problem to you?

Ive had the Pro 5.0 shifter installed for about 2 or 3 years now, and i remember it feeling pretty sweet when i put it in. Now that is def. not the case at all. When the car is in gear it is very sloppy. Its in gear, but i can still move it around. Ive checked every bolt to the entire shifter and everything is tight. I would make a guess that it is the tranny. What in the tranny could cause that? I mean the shifter is so loose and sloppy it can pop itself out of gear. Also while in gear, 4 out of 6 gears, without my foot on the clutch i can easily pull it out of gear and into neutral. Its gotta be the tranny. What in the tranny is going bad or is already bad?
Old 06-26-2005, 06:59 PM
Banned

trans sounds like it is going.

I know when you put the shifter into 3rd and it pops out.. that is a sure sign your trans is gonna take a crap.. Welll thats what I been told atleast.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The socket that the shifter fits in may be worn. The trans will not wallow like you describe while in gear. You have a worn socket or shifter.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by calhoon
The socket that the shifter fits in may be worn. The trans will not wallow like you describe while in gear. You have a worn socket or shifter.
Hey dude thanks for that reply. Whats involved in changing the "socket". Ive never done it before nor even heard of it. Can you change it through the top of the tranny,(by taking off the console) or does the tranny have to be pulled?