Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pilot bearing - which way?

Old 07-08-2005, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Pilot bearing - which way?

Which way should the pilot bearing be installed? Now before you say search, I did and I found conflicting answers. A few threads said the flush surfaced side faces the trans, the roller side with 2 surfaces faces the crank. This is the way the current bearing sat in there, though I'm not sure if it was the original factory bearing or the shop that did my last clutch install put it in. But one thread said the flat side faces the crank, and the roller side should be out - and the guy said the factory installed his wrong. I'm more inclined to go with the first way, but just wanted to be sure.

Also whats the best method to install the new one? I was going to whack it with a socket and hammer, but I don't want to break the new bearing.

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2005, 11:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NHRATA01
Which way should the pilot bearing be installed? Now before you say search, I did and I found conflicting answers. A few threads said the flush surfaced side faces the trans, the roller side with 2 surfaces faces the crank. This is the way the current bearing sat in there, though I'm not sure if it was the original factory bearing or the shop that did my last clutch install put it in. But one thread said the flat side faces the crank, and the roller side should be out - and the guy said the factory installed his wrong. I'm more inclined to go with the first way, but just wanted to be sure.

Also whats the best method to install the new one? I was going to whack it with a socket and hammer, but I don't want to break the new bearing.

Thanks!
I used a pilot bushing instead of a bearing. The bushing must be installed with the beveled side toward the tranny and flat side towards engine. I would assume a bearing would be the same way. If you test fit the bearing on the input shaft it should sit flush near the trans housing.

I installed my bushing using as socket thats fits perfectly on the lip of the bearing/bushing. Then just knock it straight in with a hammer. Worked perfect for me. Not sure how dellicate a bearing is vs a bushing though.
good luck
Old 07-08-2005, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

flat towards crank, roller facing out
Old 07-08-2005, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Well call me confused. This thread suggests the other way https://ls1tech.com/forums//showthread.php?t=243567

Is it possible it might not make a difference? I tried test fitting it on the input shaft and it works either way.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:52 PM
9 Second Club

I posted a similar question and was told to the side that you cant see any needle bearings faces the tranny.Which makes since to me seeing that there is a gasket of some sort in the bearing and to me thats gotta be there to keep any grease from getting into the clutch.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pilot bearing - which way?