Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Spec 3 + RAM adjustable m/c = no chatter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 05:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec 3 + RAM adjustable m/c = no chatter?

Thinking about getting an adjustable m/c as I never liked the pedal feel and the car chatters too much in bumper to bumper traffic.

Not curious to know about similar experiences, but instead, the cure for this. I drive an 02 ws6 with spec 3 clutch and billet flywheel - the master and slave are stock untouched.

Im hoping with the Ram adj. m/c, there is a way to adjust the hydraulics to stop the chatter.

Your thoughts before I spend the money?
Old 07-09-2005, 06:58 AM
11 Second Club

Adjustable Master will only alow you to change the height of the pedal wher the clutch engages. If you have chatter this will not cure it.

Brad
Old 07-09-2005, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

I have a spec 3 clutch with stock master and slave..and I had some chatter for the first 500 miles, im at 900 now, and I hardlly have any chatter..I love my clutch. I would highly reccomend it.
Old 07-09-2005, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the replies.

Originally Posted by Squintz Palladoris
Adjustable Master will only alow you to change the height of the pedal wher the clutch engages. If you have chatter this will not cure it.

Brad
Brad, thanks I understand your explanation. Im not exactly sure though if the height of the pedal (or my current pedal pressure) is contributing to the chattering. Thats because Im not sure if the pedal height I have is correct according to clutch engagement. Only in stop and go occassions, where the clutch pedal has a long and complete range of movement (or complete height variability) the chattering occurs. Im guessing this is because the height of the clutch pedal is incorrect thereby causing a large "pressure point" area where chattering is most existant.

What I am questioning is, the issue of the existence of chatter being possibly related to incorrect pedal height. Im guessing that, If there's a way to adjust the height of the pedal, the chattering should be less existant since the clutch would engage differently. The operator of the clutch should be able to "skip" the "pressure point" area in which the clutch chatters by "adjusting" the pedal height in accordance. Is this true or false?

94formulabird, i couldnt agree with you any more. Had 2 sets of these spec3s and they are pretty good. But, it sucks when your in bumper to bumper traffic with it chattering on you and causing the car to jerk (like you dont know how to drive a stick). Needless to say, I had to learn how to drive a manual over again after the initial clutch install. I just wish I didnt have to pay so much detailed attention to my clutch when im in rush hour traffic. I love my clutch .. but i hate it.

An old friend of mine had a spec 3 and his had no chatter at all! He mentioned that his clutch did the same thing but it stopped chattering after he did _____ (something that I cant remember!). I think he said something about a master or slave cylinder?
Old 07-09-2005, 07:01 PM
11 Second Club

More mileage will help the chatter as stated above and many other places around here.
If you are still running the stock rear gear then the chatter will be a bit worse than a car with 4.10s.

Nothin wrong with an adjustable master. You will be able to adjust the pedal height where you want it. But again, it won't do anything for the chatter. That will go away on its own.

Good Luck!

Brad
Old 07-10-2005, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Uhh i dont think the chatter is going anywhere, its a SPEC for one, as well as a stage 3. There is going to be lots of chatter. Mine still chatters, and yes i know what you mean about the car jerking. Overall impression of my SPEC stage 3 is it sucks a$$. No loving and hating it here, i just hate mine. I think i want to send SPEC a nice letter. I think ill try an adj. master cylinder first. This way i can stop my pedal from engaging about 4" from the floor. Maybe it will be a little more user friendly to drive. Guess we will see.