Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Synchros or Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Synchros or Clutch?

I bought my '00 SS in '01 w/ 15k on it. First owner only had it 9 months but, God knows what he/she did to it. Since I've had it, on occassion, I get a grind on the upshift to 2nd. Usually only happens above 3000rpm. Once or twice I've even experienced this in the 3rd - 4th upshift. At that time, I was cruising down the road and I held the clutch in and kept shifting from neutral to 4th and it grinded every time. The 2nd gear grind has gotten progressively worse but, it's intermittent. Never happens on downshifts. Is this a clutch problem or a synchros problem? Is this going to be costly to repair? And, how much of a priorty should it be? Is it something I should get repaired tomorrow? Or, wait till it becomes a constant problem?
Old 07-14-2005, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

ttt… advice, replies,… anyone?
Old 07-14-2005, 07:19 PM
Launching!

i think the problem is the synchros. if the clutch is bad, you should have problem shift into gear. as far as should you get it fix soon, i think you should. if you wait, it get worse, instead of replace synchros, you will also need replace gears too. since you in knoxville too, i will pm you my number. i be able to tell what exactly is the problems