Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Street Twin Slipping

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Street Twin Slipping

Some pertinant info:

Clutch was rebuilt 30k miles ago. Had a lowpower (~340rwhp) engine with the StreetTwin for most of those miles (daily driver...hardly any drag racing, and no hard launching). Had to slip the clutch quite a bit (too much clutch, not enough power - according to Mcleod) which "glazed" the disc a little. When I pulled the clutch the flywheel, floater plate, and pressure plate had a good amount of heat spots and wear, along with the disc showing good wear.

New motor (~525fwhp NA) has about 500 miles on it. Went to the track twice had no problems. Car has small oil leak in the starter area (probably from the Canton oil pan, have not traced it yet). Car sat for about two months until yesterday. Took it out for a spin and clutch was slipping in every gear . To the point of having to turn around and go home. Once I put it in 4th gear it would barely hold.

Is it possible the clutch would suddenly act like this? How likely is it that oil is getting into the clutch assembly - seems a little unlikely to me, but who knows.

How long are you guys getting out of your StreetTwin daily drivers?

Thoughts:

Clutch is worn. Needs another rebuild along with a new pressure plate.
Oil leak is getting to the clutch discs and saturating them.

Anyone have similar problem?

Ryan
Old 07-31-2005, 11:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen similar problems with oil getting on the disk surface from leaky oil pans and rear main seals. I had a ST in a daily driver that held up well. We also had one in the 95 last year that endured countless road course laps and about 40 passes half of them in the low 10's on spray and when we took it apart it looked hardly used.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave: Thanks for the response. I pulled the and found both the rear main seal and oil pan gasket dripping with oil. Clutch needs a complete rebuild - heat spots out the wazoo and the floater plate/1 disc had a 1/16" groove .

Ryan