Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Ram Powergrip Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 03:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ram Powergrip Impressions

I bought a RAM powergrip clutch ( NON HD ) with Billet Steel Flywheel from Texas Speed. Installed it and have around 300 miles on it now.
First impressions were iffy, the clutch engaged just off the carpet and disengaged not even half way up. Was completly bled and am using the stock 2002 Master and Slave. The clutch chattered during the first 100 miles on all 1st gear starts.

After the first 100 miles, i started to get used to the stiffness of the new clutch and the chatter seemed to be going away, i almost hit my garage pulling in the thing grabs so hard.

At 200 miles i got on her a few times taking the revs high and NOT powershifting by anymeans but seeing how she grabs. She grabs so hard my Ypipe slams the chassis and i can feel it bump.

Now at 300 miles the chatter in first geat is almost gone. It only really chatters when making a turn at low speeds. The engagement points are rising, its much easier to shift. I am completely used to it as if i had been driving with it for a long time.

Over all so far im pretty satisfied. Ill be adding more miles to her soon and once i get a bit more comfortable, ill take her to the track and see how she does.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:41 AM
12 Second Club

Told ya you'd be happy Scoob. Now all you gotta do is fix that high rpm prob. Did you change the wires and stuff??
Old 07-31-2005, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

It appears to be valve spring related, ordered PRC platinums, should be no problems, lets hope atleast.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's good to hear. I am debating on the Ram or a spending extra $ and getting a Clutchmasters. I am smelling the dreaded clutch aroma and feeling more and more slipping with each hard stoplight romp I do.
Old 07-31-2005, 01:52 PM
Staging Lane

I have had mine almost for about 800 miles, i'd say 100 of that is stop and go break in. My left leg is bigger than my right now thanks to Ram and the stiftness of the damn clutch, I got on it once, but ever since I burnt the **** out of my stock clutch I have been scared to get her going off the line. I will wait about 200 more miles and hten give it hell!!! I love my Ram Powergrip w/Ram billet flywheel, 01 slave, and my Futral Slave Cylinder. Best mod so far???? Don't know maybe after my cam swap?!?!?!?
Old 07-31-2005, 02:28 PM
TECH Addict

ive got the ram pg hd with the billet fly and love it. i only have about 100 miles on it, but that ****** grabs hard!!!
Old 08-01-2005, 08:06 PM
8 Second Club

I'm sure the PRC's will solve your float problem with the CheaTR bro. Did you install the shim with the clutch?
Old 08-02-2005, 02:30 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the new clutch Scoobs. Glad to see you are ironing out some of those pesky issues the car has been giving you lately!
Old 08-02-2005, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vortech
I'm sure the PRC's will solve your float problem with the CheaTR bro. Did you install the shim with the clutch?
Lets hope, the springs will be here Thursday. Im anxious to have them on. I did not install the shim that probably would have made things better. It didnt come with the kit and i didnt think about it til it was over. But ive got another 50 miles on her since my post above ( i dont drive much ) and she still keeps feeling better. After i get the springs done and my other little pesky issues taking care of ill take her to the track. Dynoing on the 13th.
Scoobs

Quick Reply: Ram Powergrip Impressions