Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clunk on clutch release / 1st gear tough shift

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 01:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clunk on clutch release / 1st gear tough shift

I haven't had any techs really try to listen for this, but sometimes when i let the clutch out, especially in 3rd or 4th, theres a single clunk sound that happens. I notice no other problems, and it doesn't happen all the time.. It almost seems like it depends on how fast or slow i let out the clutch vs the rpms. I haven't come up with a formula yet.

Any Ideas?

Secondly, sometimes (rarely) i cant shift into 1st. i just have to play with it a bit, rev the motor, then it works... Someone said synchros... is this an easy inspection? im sure there could be something else wrong, or is this just the nature of the beast?
Old 08-04-2005, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not being able to shift into a gear without rev matching definitely sounds like synchros. the only way i know to physically check them is to take the tranny apart. Try changing your fluid before messing with all that though and dont overfill it.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:23 PM
Teching In

Tonight, i was paying more attention to it, and determined that second is bad too, but I think that might be from the skip shift solenoid... is there anyway to just take the damn thing out? Basically, im completely stopped, engine idling, clutch in. I shift from first to second and back to first and 10-20% of the time, second sticks, feels like its hitting something on the left side. first sticks much less than this, but it does none the less.

I'll see when the last time i got the trans changed. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Clunk on clutch release / 1st gear tough shift