Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

intermittent grinding (all gears)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 08:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Problem Fixed

alright... i tore it all apart... found 3 things, my slave was junked... throwout bearing was screwed up... it was brand new too, i am thinking it wore down because of the next problem... the pilot bearing was torn to ****... it looked like someone had put a shotgun too it. my best guess is the problem occured while we were putting the transmission in the first time. it took alot of force to get it in even though the pilot bearing was well lubricated. but it most likely got alittle damaged during the first install. for about 300 miles it was good because i wasnt pushing the car hard. when i revved it up to 4k the bearing most likely came completly apart. so that was the main cause of the clutch moaning. now to the slave. because the clutch wasnt pushing all the way out the slave and throwout bearing worn down prematurely. everything is replaced now and she is running great again. we didnt force anything in this time she slid in, maybe it was the excessive amount of grease we used hehe but she is in great shape again. im gonna take it easy on her again though because the clutch had to be put back in so i guess my break in has a few hundred more miles to go. thanks again mike for all the help and pointing me in different directions and possible problems.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear you got it fixed. Sounds like the exact problem I had with my car. Blew the slave, replaced it. Ran fine for about 50 miles till I ran it up in the revs and then it blew it again. Took it apart to find the slave cracked in half. Replaced the slave, flywheel, pilot bearing, pressure plate, clutch, and master cylinder. Running fine now and no problems. Expensive fix, but it's nice to know I don't have the mickey mouse factory clutch set up in there anymore, and it hasn't given me a problem so far.

Quick Reply: intermittent grinding (all gears)