Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pro 5.0 Rattling

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro 5.0 Rattling

My Pro 5.0 shifter seems to be rattling. If I have it in gear, and take my hand off, it shakes left to right pretty bad. It goes into the gears fine, but can be rattling when its in gear. Any idea of what it could be?
Old 08-14-2005, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nikeair042
My Pro 5.0 shifter seems to be rattling. If I have it in gear, and take my hand off, it shakes left to right pretty bad. It goes into the gears fine, but can be rattling when its in gear. Any idea of what it could be?
Is the handle secured fully?
Old 08-14-2005, 10:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

idk because someone else installed it on my car. also, if i am going say 10mph, and i press the clutch and just go thru the gears, it sounds like a banging noise from the back end. But when the car isnt moving, i can go through the gears silently. Also, I can hear the gears when im driving, like a buzzing, and they are stock gears.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well the gear wine is probably due to old gears and other old components back there. Some new differential fluid might help some. The banging from the rear sounds normal to me, sounds like a slow moving car shifting, but I could be wrong about that.

The 10-bolts on our cars really suck and it might be going, although on both of my F-bodys, the rear-end was so it may be all of them are like that.

I would first check the stick to see if it is tight and in both bolts. After that, I would check to see if the shifter itself is on correctly. Those two should fix that easily since I don't see this being a tranny problem if the car shifts and stays in gears fine. FWIW, most shifters rattle when the car is on.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a pro 5.0 in my former Z28, and that is normal. It doesn't really have any sound deadening material. It's just metal hitting metal. The shifter is awesome, but the noise was too much for me. There might be a way of using sound deadening material on it, but i'm not aware of it.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea, i am going on wed to my mechanic, he works on race car engines and stuff, but he is going to put new pads on, and im going to ask him to look at the shifter and everything. what specificaly should I ask him to look at? Transmission i think is fine cause it goes into gear, doesnt pop out, doesnt grind, i think its something when the guy put the 5.0 in, maybe he didnt tighten something, idk. anything specific i should ask him to check out?????
Old 08-15-2005, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check the stick. It probably isn't this, but it could be a linkage problem...but the chances of that are slim.