Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch and clutch fluid

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 09:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Transam64
Go to the dealer man, and mention the Year 2000 Slave Cylinder Cylinder Service Bulletin after they Tell yah nothing is wrong.
A TSB on this?? My 00 car doesn't shift right either and I know it's not the transmission itself. If your car applies for the TSB, you still have to pay out of pocket if it isn't warranty, correct?
Old 08-17-2005, 11:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If there is a TSB on it - I don't think your car has to be under warranty to have the work covered. But just call the dealer of your choice and ask for the Service Manager to clarify. May call more than one just to confirm. However, some of these TSB's are applied to certain VIN #'s and stuff. Like in my case - I have a 1999 30th Ann. TA with 6 speed and I started having issues with shifts at about 3k miles - on a hard run the car would shift fine about 8 out of 10 times - the other 2 times the clutch would not release properly and it would burn the hell out of the clutch. Just before the car was a year old I took it in for a few minor things and also told them about the clutch problems - of course they "could not duplicate the problem". Well, basically 2 years later I had a few more small issues I needed addressed before my warranty was up. But at this time there was a TSB for the Slave Cylinder on 1999 F-bodys. I read up on it and printed it out to take to my local dealer. It described pretty much my exact symptoms and described that there was a defective O-ring in some slaves that could allow it to bleed off pressure and thus not function properly. I go in, describe everything, and show them the TSB - GET THIS - it only applied to 69 cars by VIN! Ha! What a joke! Here I was having the exact problems described in the TSB - but oh no, that couldn't be what was wrong with my car since it didn't match one of the 69 VIN's. What a crock! On the dealers behalf though, they did talk to a GM Rep to try to have it cover under the TSB, but naturally GM denied it. So the dealer was having to pull my tranny anyway to replace some part on Reverse as it would sometimes pop out of Reverse and so he asked the mechanic if he would do a little "side work" while it was out. So I ordered an '02 Z06 clutch, pressure plate, flywheel and slave cylinder on a GP and he installed it for $50. So in this case the dealer did me right - but of course GM screwed me all the way! Good luck!
Old 08-17-2005, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where can you look up the TSBs and print them out? I tried searching on Yahoo! to no avail.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:36 PM
TECH Regular

Here, try this link through Edmunds...

http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/MaintenanceServlet
Old 08-17-2005, 05:14 PM
Teching In

GM won't come right out and tell yah about this one because of the costs involved, and it IS vin# specific. If you give enough grief to the dealer when your clutch starts engaging itself with the pedal on the floor, they'll mysteriously find the bulletin hidden in their system.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:22 PM
TECH Regular

So any more input available? I am finally going to try bleeding the MC on the car this evening and refilling with fresh fluid - knock on wood!

Quick Reply: clutch and clutch fluid