Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Synkro key snapring question

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 11:48 AM
10 Second Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Synkro key snapring question

I took my trans apart because I kept missing the 3-4 or it just wouldnt go. I found the synkro key snapring for the 5-6 synkro busted up on the magnet and the snapring for the 3-4 off and the keys falling out. What gives? there is no grove or anything to hold them so how do they stay in??

Thanks for not telling me I'm in over my head in advance and any help you can offer, Tom
Old 08-15-2005, 01:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you abuse it? after all you are in the 10 sec forum

Sounds like rebuild time. I just ordered all the parts for mine and will attempt a rebuild next weekend. Make sure you get a steel shift fork and billet keys. I did.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:55 PM
Teching In

Hey guys. I'm about to rebuild my T56 also. I was just wondering where I should buy the parts from? I just want to do a simple synchro rebuild kitwith a steel 3-4 shift fork. These are the only two sites ive been looking at: http://www.thegearbox.org/pages/3/index.htm
and
http://ddperformance.com/t56_partsupgrades.htm
Are these good retailers? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Jason
Old 08-15-2005, 05:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Judy at TheGearBox has help me out many times both with questions and deals (getting multpile products). I ended up getting their Master rebuild kit with Timken (US Made) bearings, billet keys and steel shift fork.

I spoke with my contact at Borg Warner acouple of months ago. She said that they moved the T56 operation to Mexico in 98. She recommended if I was going to build up the motor and beef up the tranny, that I should replace the bearings too. Most people probably dont need to do this though...

On ebay there are two other sellers that sell the rebuilt kit. about $100 cheaper. One of the sellers is named remanXpress (or something like that) but they didn't respond to me as The gearbox has.

Last edited by ROCNDAV; 09-08-2005 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:37 PM
10 Second Moderator

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
Do you abuse it? after all you are in the 10 sec forum

Sounds like rebuild time. I just ordered all the parts for mine and will attempt a rebuild next weekend. Make sure you get a steel shift fork and billet keys. I did.
Um I guess you have to define "abuse" I put er thrugh her paces thats fer sure. Extreme granny shifting 101 is what I practice every day and 10.50s @ 130 on the weekends keeps me and the lil N/A 346 feeling young.

Why steel shift fork/forks and which 1-2, 3-4, 5-6??? Also my stock keys look real good, just the retaining rings chunked...so why get billit keys if they have the same crap retaining rings that let um fall out????

Oh yea, Gearbox rocks for info and good parts and people.

Last edited by Torkman15; 08-15-2005 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:08 AM
TECH Junkie

the aluminum 3-4 shift fork has a known problem of bending. IIRC, some 01/02 Fbodies have these already installed, but the earlier years definatley do not have them.

As for the keys, the stock ones are stamped/hallow and aren't as strong as the solid billet keys. Maybe the trans already had high mileage or abuse before you got it?
Old 08-16-2005, 02:54 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the help. I'll check those guys out on ebay before I make the purchase.

Quick Reply: Synkro key snapring question