Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

reverse lockout?? (searched)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005 | 08:40 AM
On The Tree

Default reverse lockout?? (searched)

Ok guys I put a '98 LS1 with a T56 into my Mazda RX-7. Everything seems to work except reverse. I just can't get it to go into reverse, AT ALL. Not when the car is off, not when the car is on. It just won't do it. I have searched a good bit on the topic and it seems that most people are able to override the reverse lockout by pushing to the right really hard. I can't do that? I also read that some people remove the solenoid and plug the hole with a freeze plug. I am considering doing this. Not having reverse makes a fun car awfully hard to park.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 09-01-2005 | 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

The solenoid releases its load with power. If you have not plugged in & powered the solenoid , it will take a significant load( two hand?). If you remove the solenoid(one bolt) see if the load goes away.If not may be internal issues.Did you not shift the box before install? I suspect that it will work with power.
Old 09-01-2005 | 11:50 AM
On The Tree

it is plugged in... i read something about maybe having the plugs backwards and maybe the skip shift plug is in the reverse lockout? that should make it do nothing though because i had my skip shift turned off.

when the key is not on you can push the stick over to the right as if to go into reverse and then move it forward into the gate but it doesnt feel like it wants to actually go into gear. (maybe it will if the car rolls a little bit but I havent been able to try that) as soon as the key is on and the car is running i cant even force the stick to move over to the right. i feel like if i push much harder the stick will break off

if you listen closely while driving you can hear a sound from the transmission area. its like a light but solid popping sound and it happens at the same speed all the time. like around lets say 5-10 mph. (i do not currently have a working speedo) it is not a sound like something is broken. it sounds to me like it could possibly be the solenoid releasing. but then when the car is near a stop you hear the same popping sound again. like the polarity on the solenoid is reversed or something??
Old 09-01-2005 | 12:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

I swapped my A4 to a T56 and had the same issue. I swapped the stock shift **** to a Hurst T-Handle shifter with a button. The button is wired so that when I push it in, it disengages the reverse lock-out. It wires up pretty fast.
Old 09-01-2005 | 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

The reverse and the skip solenoids are oposite acting so swapping the connections would be a bad thing . If you have an elim. you would not notice the mixed plugs for that function ( because you block it with the elim). The plugs are color coded black and white. The plug portions of the solenoids are also color coded... match the colors.
Old 09-01-2005 | 04:00 PM
On The Tree

alright then i must not have the plugs switched... i might just do like suggested and pull the thing out to test and see what happens with the lock out totally removed.
Old 09-01-2005 | 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ragtop 99, you have a PM

Quick Reply: reverse lockout?? (searched)