Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Back to Dexron III from Red Line syn - Shifts much better now

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 02:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Back to Dexron III from Red Line syn - Shifts much better now

Just wanted to share with everyone that I replaced the tranny fluid with Red Line synthetic awhile back. I noticed right away that gears started to grind under fast shifting and also when the car was cold. It was also harder to push/pull into a gear.

I read on a thread that others have experienced this and went back to OEM spec which resolved it. I am another believer.

Yesterday I replaced the fluid with the OEM reccomended Dexron III. I forgot how nice it shifted and is back the way it was before. Nice easy shifting and no grinding.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm new to f-bodies here. Where do I drain the trans, and where do I fill it? How much does it take?

I've noticed it grinds every once in a while when I shift to 2nd hard...Also is kind of rough going into gears. I'm sure the fluid needs to be changed...That would probably help quite a bit since I'm sure it was never done before.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you have a manual trans then the drain plug is in the rear part of the tranny towards the bottom. The fill plug more towards the front an up higher. You can't miss them. They are the only things that look like they unscrew.

There is no way to put a funnel in the fill hole and pour in tranny fluid, no room. Some take like a mustard bottle, fill that and spray it in. I run a hose from the top of the engine compartment down to the fill hole and pour it into the hose using a funnel. This might take longer.

Once fluid starts coming out the fill hole it is full. Should take a little less then 4 quarts.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Doesn't it make you feel a litte foolish for falling for the spendy no- account mystery oil when the cheaper-is- better was right there specified in your manual?
Old 09-06-2005, 04:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I put Red Line D4 ATF in my tranny a long time ago and it shifts much better. It's a lot smoother. Quieter. Just feels better. I'll stick to my Red Line
Old 09-06-2005, 04:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark A. Rogalski
Just wanted to share with everyone that I replaced the tranny fluid with Red Line synthetic awhile back. I noticed right away that gears started to grind under fast shifting and also when the car was cold. It was also harder to push/pull into a gear.

I read on a thread that others have experienced this and went back to OEM spec which resolved it. I am another believer.

Yesterday I replaced the fluid with the OEM reccomended Dexron III. I forgot how nice it shifted and is back the way it was before. Nice easy shifting and no grinding.
What year is your car / transmission? 98,99, and I think 2000 t-56s are not compatible with synthetic fluids and will start to have shifting problems. I think it is due to the use of paper lined syncros (later years use carbon fiber lined syncros). That could be why you noticed such an improvement by switching back to Dexron III.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm a believer in using the Auto Zone cheap tranny fluid. Never had a problem and my car sees way more track time than street. Well, I had one problem, the output shaft broke on a 6000 launch. I don't think the fluid had anything to do with that!

Quick Reply: Back to Dexron III from Red Line syn - Shifts much better now