Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Black brake fluid! Why?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black brake fluid! Why?

Background info: The clutch wasn't fully disengaging so I had a shop install a new clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, and slave about 2 weeks ago. The car drove great for about a day then after I let it sit overnight, I started it up and it would not go into gear again (clutch wasn't fully disengaging again).

Ok so I bought a Mcleod adjustable master hoping this would solve the problem. Tonight we yanked the stock master out. The first thing I noticed was that the fluid was extremely black with some solid chunks in it also. What would cause this? I don't drive the car too hard, I've never taken it to the track or even raced anybody. Any ideas?

PS: Does anybody have any tips on how to get the new master back in? Getting the stock master out was a real bitch and I'm not looking forward to putting the new one back in.

Thanks
Old 09-20-2005, 08:49 PM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The old fluid turns black from the heat, moisture in the system & the seals wearing coming apart in the system. Likely what the 'chunks' where.
Id d the drill mod clean it well, install it on the master. Bench bleed the master(hold the check valve open on the end of the line) Then put it in the car. I usually go from the drivers header/manifold under the brake booster & put it up to the firewall. Look at www.installuniversity.com lots of help in there for how to's.
The harder part about the McLeod master is getting the bolts into it thru the firewall. it is good to have a friend to hole the master & you install the bolts inside the car.

Quick Reply: Black brake fluid! Why?