Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What is clicking and chattering?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 02:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is clicking and chattering?

I have a 02 SS camaro M6. Ive had the spec stage 3 clutch in for a few thousand miles now. Now my clutch or maybe my throwout bearings are starting to make this chattering or clicking sound when im idleing and the clutch pedal is not held in. If i push the pedal down the clicking noise will go away. If i let it out and im stopped you could hear a clicking chattering noise coming from under the shifter arm. Im thinking its the throwout bearings. Correct? How much are they and where could i get one?

Also, will i need to remove the whole tranny? Drop the bellhousing and all?

Last edited by Camaroguy; 09-20-2005 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:38 PM
Launching!

the noise could be lots of stuff, beside what you mention above, it can also be clutch disc spring broke.

you will need to pull tranny out to get to any of those stuff me and you mention
Old 09-20-2005, 03:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lsp408
the noise could be lots of stuff, beside what you mention above, it can also be clutch disc spring broke.

you will need to pull tranny out to get to any of those stuff me and you mention
Alot of ppl are telling me its the throw out bearing since it only does it at High RPMS and or when im at a stop light and the clutch pedal is out. When i push the pedal in the noise goes away.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:47 PM
Staging Lane

Mine has a similar problem as far as clicking at idle with the clutch disengaged. I was told by the fellas that replaced my clutch and flywheel that it's the flywheel (aluminum Fidanza). Mine makes a grinding noise at low rpms while driving, and then it dissappears above 3000. They say it has something to do with not being self-balanced (?). I really don't have a clue what that has to do with the flywheel, but apparently the aftermarket ones are different from the stock versions. I plan to go with a different flywheel next time, but it has been working fine for several months with no real issues other than the noise.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Boshaft
Mine has a similar problem as far as clicking at idle with the clutch disengaged. I was told by the fellas that replaced my clutch and flywheel that it's the flywheel (aluminum Fidanza). Mine makes a grinding noise at low rpms while driving, and then it dissappears above 3000. They say it has something to do with not being self-balanced (?). I really don't have a clue what that has to do with the flywheel, but apparently the aftermarket ones are different from the stock versions. I plan to go with a different flywheel next time, but it has been working fine for several months with no real issues other than the noise.
I got a spec stage 3 clutch with the steel flywheel.. Not long ago. Its been maybe 10k miles since. I havent been racing too much nor do i drop the clutch too hard since i dont have a great tune for my car.. Nor do i have nittos.

I did break the clutch in nice and easy for the first 400 miles or so.

I do have clutch chatter, but ive read that alot of the spec clutchs have that.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:47 AM
11 Second Club

mine does this also (same clutch and flywheel). while it does go away with the pedal down, i fear its something in the tranny. it seems to lug the engine some times and kill it. it gets worse when i run the car hard, car dies more often. i know it sounds like tunning issues but i dont thinks so.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:34 PM
Launching!

This sucks... Yesterday i started to drive the car harder and the CLUTCH is slipping like no other... I havent even used nitrous on this clutch. Nor have i dropped it hard at all and the spec stage 3 clutch didnt even last 10k miles. ERRR. The stock clutch lasted longer on juice...

When the clutch is slipping does it slip when your standing still and you take off? Or do does it still hook? Mine only slips when im driving. It grips great in 1st gear. But slips in every other gear when i floor it, even 6th. Whats the cause of this? Also i can hear what sounds like my throw out bearings shoting something around like metal or something.. But like i said in the start of this thread thats what i thought went out at first, Not my clutch.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:38 PM
Launching!

How long does a spec stage 3 clutch usually last?

If its slipping does it mean i need to get my flywheel replaced or resurfaced? I have the steel flywheel thats offered with the spec stage 3 clutch.

Does anyone have a part number for the throw out bearing because i think i need to replace that as well. While im in there, is there anything else i need to replace?

Quick Reply: What is clicking and chattering?