Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New to LS1TECH,a few t56 problems/questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 12:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New to LS1TECH,a few t56 problems/questions

I left College Station thursday night because of the Rita scare and it took me 5 hours to get to Waco with all the traffic (1 hour drive with no traffic). Anyway I start hearing all these whining noises from the transmission like I can hear each gear "winding" up as i select a gear and its a little bit harder to get into gear. Fells very notchy, takes longer to shift. 5th and 6th now have a noticable loud wine while in gear that gets louder with speed. theres also a clunking noise that occurs when letting the clutch on and off at low speed or while shifting 1-2, 2-3 like somethings loose inside or in ther rearend( like while creeping in bumper to bumper traffic).

Is it time for a (gulp) rebuild? I looked under the car when I got home, no sign of any leaks and to my knowledge it never has leaked. fluid was changed about 15k miles ago. I need advise ASAP, only 3K left on warranteeThnaks, Josh.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

BTW I have a specII with about 20K miles, no problems. Also replaced at the time: MC with drill mod, and 01-02 slave.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:36 AM
TECH Regular

Are you sure it is coming from the transmission? My car did the same things and it was the rear end, the noise echos everywhere so it was hard to pinpoint while driving. I put the car on the lift and put it in third while another person listen with a stethascope underneath. Changed the rear noise is mostly gone (moser with 4.11 still whines a bit). Does not really explain the notchy shift, did the shift feeling and the noise come at the same time?
Old 09-25-2005, 09:06 AM
Staging Lane

It could be the rear ring and pinion thats broken. When cruising you will hear a clunk that will go up in frequency with speed. The faster you go the faster it will clunk. It will usually whine much more than usual. If you give it gas and let off when cruising it will make more noise, or whine, and quiet up a little. The clunking from the rear is the real givaway. As the gears eat themselves up the clunk will get louder. If this is what is happening be carefull. A rear can lockup and send you into a spin. Take it slow getting home and have it checked right away.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for that. One other problem that comming from the rear: If I take a sweeping wide left turn with the clutch in, I hear a ratcheting sound from the rear, and sometimes while comming to a stop. carrier bearing?
Old 09-26-2005, 06:30 PM
Staging Lane

You can still have noise from the ring and pinion with the clutch in. The Torsen differential has gears and it can also chew itself up. Pulling the cover off the differential up on a lift should show something right away on the ring and pinion if either of them are damaged. If not an person experienced in setting up a GM differential might be needed. Clunking sounds usually are broken gears though. I broke my Ring and Pinion and had a lot of wear to my Torsen gears. After 21 years of F-Bodies and rears I sprung for the Moser 12 Bolt. A new ring and pinion installed with all new bearings should be around $750.00. A Moser 12 bolt is around $3000.00 installed with all the good options.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:48 PM
TECH Regular

Bearings...IMO don't usually make a ratcheting noise, usually that is gears, or the posi. If you take off the cover should be tell all.