Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Trans prob on 02 SS

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trans prob on 02 SS

I noticed on the return trip from Anaheim I had a weird whining noise. Sounded like a turbo on a semi truck was idling right next to me, but I was all alone on the open hiway. I took the car out today and on the open hiway again sure enough, 5th gear right at 65mph the whine starts in. 6th gear, same thing, same pitch. Drop to 4th and the sound goes away. I'm guessing it's tied to the shaft that 5th and 6th (both overdrives) are tied to in the tranny. I called GM customer service (like Scott always tells us ) and asked about warranty coverage. The car went out of warranty 10 days ago and still has less than 2,000 miles on it. Alicia with GM was very nice and asked what other GM vehicles I owned or have owned...she soon soad, "Sounds like you're a loyal GM customer." I don't have a decision yet, but it looks like they will likely cover it. I will take in tomorrow morning and have my favorite (read trust) GM mechanic go for a drive with me. I've already talked to him and he agrees it sounds like it's transmission related. He said he'd push fo ra new Tremec and try to resist rebuilding it. The down time rebuilding would be ugly and the car would have to sit around the service bay or maybe even outside!
Old 10-10-2005, 05:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just took mine in for a transmission inspection today and it looks like I have bad syncros. But my 5th and 6th gear are doing the same thing, so maby I will mention that to them. But good luck, you have a very nice SS!