Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Burning clutch smell

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 01:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning clutch smell

The other day I changed oil on my car for the first time since I bought it and when driving it onto the rhino ramps just from slipping the clutch and getting it up on the ramps I could smell the clutch burning. I also notice this smell when I am backing in and out of parking spaces at college, (when I have to go forward and reverse slowly several times, to squeeze my way in or out of spots and park straight) and we all know going slow requires slipping the clutch especially in reverse. Now after just putting the car on the ramps or doing these backing in and out of parking spots and smelling the clutch burning Ive been worried, so is this normal, or is my clutch going bad already at 27,000 miles. The car has not been beat, and the only mods are whisper lid, and borla cat back. I do not plan to race the car, nor moddify it further, it is my everyday driver through sun, rain, and snow. If it's going bad already then I must really suck at driving a stick and slip the clutch way to much. But I just want to know if I should be worried, because money is a concern at the moment.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:16 AM
TECH Addict

do u ride the clutch alot? that could cause excessive wear also. If not, dont worry about it till you notice it while driving it around town. You will know when its slipping or gone!
Old 10-14-2005, 08:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds like you slip the clutch entirely too much. I slip it very little to get moving. The LS1 is very torquey take advantage of that and stop riding the clutch so much. It is not a Honda or any other torqueless motor.... you can bog pretty good and you just give it gas and it goes, without bucking or anything. You could take off in 2nd from a dead stop if you so chose, and still not ride the clutch very much. Reverse doesnt require much slipping either...its too steep to even worry about bogging.

Just out of wonder... what did you learn to drive a stick on? I learned on a 85 Iroc, and when I started driving other stick shift cars, it took me a while to get used to taking off with a torqueless car and a manual.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:13 PM
TECH Resident

This is the first car I have owned that is a stick, with no previous experience. and Ive only owned it for a little more than a month, but about me slipping the clutch too much that was kindda sarcasm in my first post.(sp?) The only time I really slip it is when I am in a parking lot and cant go any faster than 1 mph when corner backing and such. As for taking off on the road I slip it very little. I was just curious if slipping it when putting it on ramps would be enough to make the clutch smell hot and if it is normal.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:31 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

anytime you slip it your creating that friction that produces the burning smell, so my answer would be yes its normal to smell it after you've sliped it like that. I'm sure you slipped it pretty good to get it up the ramps but not too fast to drive over them. As long as it doesnt slip while under load (driving conditions) dont worry about it. My clutch lasted til I made too much power for it. Also anytime you slip it your wearing it so keep that in mind and try and slip it less.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:45 PM
TECH Resident

thats the answer I was looking for, Thanks man.

Quick Reply: Burning clutch smell