Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch to Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 02:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch to Buy?

I think my Spec Stage II is shooting craps, and its time for a better clutch. What are brands as good as or better as Spec. I know about the McCleod Twin Disk, but i simply dont have that much money. What about Ram, or other clutches? i drive alot in town, and also long distances, and drag race sort of often. i need something that will grab for me, but be drivable with my Cam.

Thanks Guys,

J
Old 10-20-2005, 03:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

first,do you think the spec is crap because it died? they all die.my centerforce lasted 700mi. z06 lasted as good as stock(junk)my ram 980 lasted 2,000mi. my ram 910 vds lasted only 2,200mi. i'm on the spec st3 now and it has taken all the bad things i do to it. 6,500 rpm launches 1.3 60 foot w/nos 4,000mi of street driving and lots of street races. no matter what clutch you choose someone will have a bad story about it. someone will tell you ram is the best and after two,i feel they are JUNK. my bud had the mccleod rev lock and it lasted two years and took alot of punishment,but i've never tried it. i do like the spec,it is still going and has out lasted the better clutches(as you called them). goodluck to ya.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:05 PM
TECH Junkie

I had a Ram 402 with sintered iron it lasted around 20,000 miles and saw quite a bit of strip duty. The Ram absloutely sucked in town though. I just had a spec stage 3 installed and it is 10 times better around town, havent had it to the strip yet....
Old 10-22-2005, 10:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

I have a RAM 910 with VDS PP and it is stiff in stop and go traffic; however it isn't showing any signs of wear with 3 road race days (80 mins/track time), only about 8 1/4 mile passes (mid 11's@124mph), and 5,000 miles+ daily driving. I would buy one again personally.

You should maybe even take a look at the new LS7 clutch/LS2 flywheel setup. 500hp rating and smooth engagement/mellow pedal pressure. It will work on an LS1.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:15 AM
TECH Resident

My RAM Power Grip is treating me very well... I'm not putting down much power so you may want to go with the HD version... good daily driver clutch that grabs HARD - very little chatter. I have over 4.5K miles on it and it's seen a few track passes and a very stupid 6K clutch dump w/ Nittos... still strong.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm also looking into getting a new clutch. It would help greatly if you guys gave the respective prices to the clutches you are advocating so that I could get a better idea.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I'd suggest the Textralia OZ700. Light pedal feel in town.... awsome grip when racing. It isn't the cheapest clutch....but you get what you pay for.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:53 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99_Z_155
I think my Spec Stage II is shooting craps, and its time for a better clutch. What are brands as good as or better as Spec. I know about the McCleod Twin Disk, but i simply dont have that much money. What about Ram, or other clutches? i drive alot in town, and also long distances, and drag race sort of often. i need something that will grab for me, but be drivable with my Cam.

Thanks Guys,

J
I have a dual friction centerforce with less than 5K on it that I just pulled out of my Vette. The steel flywheel is still bolted to it. Its in great shape. I just needed something with a harder bite. I upgraded to a twin disc clutch.

I'll sell it to you for $450 with the flywheel. I can e-mail you some pics if you want......

P.M. me if your interested.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Clutches are crapshoots with our cars, there are so many but which one to choose,

I have went through a stock clutch, centerforce dual friction, both of those never failed me but I replaced as my power went up as a precaution,

Ram 910 VDS, clutch disk exploded on me after 6k miles
Spec V == still using but am starting to get a funny feeling about it as the engagement is starting to get messy after 2k miles.

I may go back to centerforce or maybe the Aussie clutch, I defineatly want something streetable now, I've had it with the big boy clutches that wear out in 2k miles, I am convinced that those clutches are made to be used at stip only and just are not feasable for street driving.