Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

lengthen or shorten Adj. Master to get to engage more

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 12:05 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default lengthen or shorten Adj. Master to get to engage more

I insatlled a ram 6130 and a 402L PP
and made my stock master cylinder adjustable.
I need to know which way to change th erod to get it to engage more...getting a little bit of slip when giving it gas in 5th and 6th

do I make it longer or shorter to get it to grab more
Old 10-24-2005, 12:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the crappy part is with the adjustable master you can only make it disengage more or less as it is only moving the pedal /lengthening/shortening the plunger for the master cyl.

Do you have any shims on the flywheel or TO bearing currently mabe you got the flywheel / PP to close to the throughout bearing causing the engagement to be incomplete.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:56 AM
8 Second Club

dam...sounds like I might need to pull out a shim
I put in the recommended #598 shim per advise from Ram....
guess this means that I'm gonna be puling that thing out
still..what I need to know is with lengthening or shortening with will allow it to engage more...which way will make it engage less...which way moves it which way..LOL
Old 10-24-2005, 02:49 AM
TECH Junkie

If you make your pedal longer which you can visibly see as you turn the rod then you will be pushing more fluid through the master cyl causing it to push the fingers on the PP more which will make it disengage more. If you shorten the peddle the reverse is true. See what I mean? The reason it can't help you for what you are talking about is because no matter how much you move the peddle the engage is still the same,

Think about it like this you have your clutch engaged and you make the peddle longer or shorter by turning the master cylinder did you clutch actually ever move? Answer is no id didn't because you never pushed the pedal. For this same reason is why the master only helps you change the disengage point because no matter how far you push the plunger the return point is always the same as where you started.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:35 PM
8 Second Club

so in the stock non adjusted rod...it was just slipping a little(and it grabbed in the middle of pedal travel)...so I put in the adjustable one in, and in theory if I set it to shorter then it presses less on the fingers in the full clutch engaged position??...also moving the grabbing location closer to the top of the pedal travel??
Old 10-25-2005, 01:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by soundengineer
so in the stock non adjusted rod...it was just slipping a little(and it grabbed in the middle of pedal travel)...so I put in the adjustable one in, and in theory if I set it to shorter then it presses less on the fingers in the full clutch engaged position??...also moving the grabbing location closer to the top of the pedal travel??

I know what you are getting at and what you want to happen but it won't, try it and then you will understand what I mean. No matter what you do the engagement point is always the same, you can shorten or lengthen the pedal and thats it which has no effect on engagement, think about it, if you shorten or lengthen the clutch pedal has the fingers actually moved at all until you acutally push the clutch in?
Old 10-25-2005, 07:45 AM
8 Second Club

well..the shim is in because ram suggested that I would need ot because without it it might not disengage....
so my next question is If I take out the shim....will the adjustable master fix the problem of not disengaging??
I dont mind going in and taking out the shim...but If its going to cause another problem...then theres no point in going back in unless I buy another brand of clutch
Old 10-25-2005, 09:58 AM
TECH Junkie

its possible that maybe your clutch is just bad? especially if you installed it like everybody else does.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:47 AM
8 Second Club

pretty sure the clutch is good...
have done probably 25 installs with buddies on other cars....no problems on those...did this one to recommended RAM specifications just like we have done on other cars...

you didnt answer my question...
can an adjustable master fix the possible disengage problem that might occur if I remove the shim?
Old 10-25-2005, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

soundengineer, I understand you frustration, it has gotten all of us . I think that by you modding your master, it will aid in disengagement just because like Mike K. stated, you are adding the amount of fluid used to disengage the pressure plate. Therefore, the pressure plate will disengage further.

Mike K. is also right that, adjusting the master only helps in disengagement not in engagement. The pressure plate is the only thing that puts pressure on the clutch to flywheel (enagement).

Also, by shortening your master, your engagement will be lower to the floor and you will have less disengagement when the pedal is all the way to the floor. Too low and the clutch will not disengage fully . Problem most people have when they install an aftermarket clutch without the drill mod and adjustable master.

I'm not sure on the shim issue. I would call ram and discuss your problems. They should give you some kind of help.

Good luck.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:56 PM
8 Second Club

so If I pull the shim..and it doesnt want to disengage then I need to lengthen the rod??
I can do that
and if it needs to move closer to the floor then I shorten the rod??
just getting my directions correct...
I have send an e-mail off to ram and If I dont see a response by when I wake up then I am calling them...
Old 10-25-2005, 11:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Lets say you pull the shim and it doesn't disengage, then you can use the adjustable master to lengthen the plunger in the master which will help you is disengagement, I just can't help but wonder whats up with that clutch if you installed it to RAM specs, I have installed several clutches myself with the Ram VDS being the only one that shims and when I installed it I used every one it came with, actuall it was shipped this way as well.

It seemed to engage/disengage properly but did not last more that a few k miles

but to answer your question,

lengten the pedal === more disengagement/ same engagement

shorten the pedal === less disengagement/ same engagement

Quick Reply: lengthen or shorten Adj. Master to get to engage more