Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Random clutch story

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 02:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random clutch story

I bought my 99 SS used with about 8,000 miles on it. The guy I bought it from said i could pay a small fee to extend the warranty from the dealer. Being a genius i decided against it, figuring i don't mind doing any work that comes up.... 6 months later at about 15,000 miles the clutch started getting jammed, the pedal would just stop about halfway down. i also noticed a strange and intermittent rattle, usually when i was stopped. I got under the car when it was running and realized that something was rattling in the bellhousing, also there were about 25 small cracks in it. All of a sudden the noises stopped, i got out from under the car and felt the pedal, it was jammed again. At this point i was annoyed so i said screw it and pulled the trans to try and figure out what the problem was. As it turns out the alignment pin that goes on the crank for the flywheel had walked itself out. It would bounce around in the bellhousing destroying it, until it would lodge itself in the pressure plate, causing it to jam and thus the pedal would jam, then it would pop out rattle around until it became stuck again.
Anyone ever heard of that happening?