Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

CAGS system breakdown for a noob

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAGS system breakdown for a noob

I would like to get a breakdown on the cags system and how it works what its like and just basic info on it.

I have driven cars with it removed and I was told mine still has it and when driving it it flashed skip shift yet let me go into 2nd gear?

From what scattered info I have heard all ls1 m6s have it and it locks out 2-3 gear unless your at WOT.

I did search and couldn't really get a straight awnser on this can somone help break it down for me.

My car in refrence is a 99 z28 m6.*all stock*
Old 11-04-2005, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Under 2500 rpm with light throttle (and some other conditions) the CAGs solenoid blocks access to 2nd gear, the light on the dash is a visual clue for the driver that the skip shift feature (2nd gear lockout solenoid) is activated.
If you disable it with one of the common plug in resistors (the fancy $30 one or the .99 radio shack resistor) the light will still flash, even though you can get into 2nd.
If you deactivate it in the computer, the light won't flash, as the parameters for CAGS operation have been changed, so it never activates the solenoid.
The purpose of the resistor is merely to fool the computer into believing the solenoid is still plugged in, as the resistance value of the resistor and the solenoid coil are the same
Old 11-04-2005, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok thank you very much for your help.

I was under light throttle just shifting little higher then that *too many years driving a honda *
Old 11-04-2005, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah i am getting use to it now, it gets me sometimes.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate CAGS, funny thing, it's supposed to increase gas mileage, my hasn't changed since I disabled it

Quick Reply: CAGS system breakdown for a noob