Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Ram powergrip HD is a piece of *&%@, only 500 miles on it and its slipping like crazy

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 08:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MagikMan
that's like a mechanic telling you don't need to change your oil ever..... of course they will tell you that.... then it will wear wrong and you'll want a new one :-P
I've heard that for most clutches out there a break-in period isnt really required for the clutch, but to ensure that the install was done correctly.

What is it with LS1 Fbods and clutches? I have seen multiple threads on just about every clutch make out there (including OEM replacements), with the exception of textralia, and people frying the clutch after a short period of time. Are the installs that hard, are the mechanics that incompetent, is there a big departure from a typical clutch change on other vehicles, or are the manufacturers putting out shoddy clutches?
Old 11-11-2005, 10:01 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Usually you can trace a "crappy clutch" on a ls1 back to improper installation, or more commonly a imroper install related to hydraulic failure. That may be not doing the drill mod, or not bleeding the clutch proerly(a real PITA)
Old 11-11-2005, 10:09 AM
9 Second Club

My clutch got broke in on the 15 mile drive to the track. That's it. With the metalic type friction materials there is no need for break in time. The first couple of times you slip the clucth your done, all your doing is flattening out any high spots in the disc.

As for the install I always clean the disc, pressure plate, flywheel with alcohol before final assembly to keep any contaminates out of there. It's a little overkill but it's worth the extra minuite or 2.

Don't give up on the ram yet. I haven't found a better clutch in the price range that holds the power. I leave right off the line with a 200 shot on Et streets and it holds every time.

Good luck
Frank
Old 11-11-2005, 10:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Mine is going strong after 30k miles.
I broke mine in for 250 miles or so driving nice and easy, no hard shifts, clutch dumps etc.

mcleod master on mine too.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:18 AM
10 Second Club

For those of you who are blaming it on break in, again, Ram said there is NO break in on there clutches, but just to be on the safer side, i did put atleast 50 soft stop and go miles on her before i ever went WOT.

Anyways, I took the tranny out yesterday, and here is what i found, its even worse than I thought.

Again, this clutch (both the presure plate and disk) and Ram billet steel flywheel have only about 500 miles on them.

I refuse to give ram another chance after there terrible customer service and terrible product they put out. I ordered a textrilla last night from buyunspeed, I will keep everyone updated with how it works out for me after I get the 300 mile break-in period in.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by _HAVOC_
For those of you who are blaming it on break in, again, Ram said there is NO break in on there clutches, but just to be on the safer side, i did put atleast 50 soft stop and go miles on her before i ever went WOT.

Anyways, I took the tranny out yesterday, and here is what i found, its even worse than I thought.

Again, this clutch (both the presure plate and disk) and Ram billet steel flywheel have only about 500 miles on them.

I refuse to give ram another chance after there terrible customer service and terrible product they put out. I ordered a textrilla last night from buyunspeed, I will keep everyone updated with how it works out for me after I get the 300 mile break-in period in.
Good luck. I might have to go with the Centerforce after hearing how unprofessional they were to you.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks for you man. I love my HD setup and it grabs like hell. It barks the tires on every take off. Make sure your hydrolics arent the cause. There are some massive hot spots on the PP. Im using the McLeod master and it works awesome.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:31 PM
8 Second Club

How would one know if the hydraulics are an issue? I have the same clutch and I did not use an adjustable master-I used the shim that Ram recomends. At first the release was pretty close to the floor-as I got more miles on the car the release is near the top-this is where it should be right?
Old 11-17-2005, 03:38 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vortech
How would one know if the hydraulics are an issue? I have the same clutch and I did not use an adjustable master-I used the shim that Ram recomends. At first the release was pretty close to the floor-as I got more miles on the car the release is near the top-this is where it should be right?
Same thing with mine...mine still grips like a champ. It took a good couple of beatings to bring the pedal up, but mine acts just like yours.

Quick Reply: Ram powergrip HD is a piece of *&%@, only 500 miles on it and its slipping like crazy