Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

SKip shift Eliminator dead?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 02:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SKip shift Eliminator dead?

Saw the SLP eliminator and liked the idea of just pluggin this resistor in, but it did nothing. It's properly installed and will not work. I still have to go 1-4. Am I doing something wrong or missing anything? I even disconnected the battery for a little while to see if that would work.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmmm....does it make you? or are you just used to shifting to 4th? cause the light will stop come up on the dash, but the solendoid that stops you from going to second stops working. did you install it right? and make sure everything was tight?
Old 11-12-2005, 02:52 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, everything was installed correctly as per instructions. The light still comes on and the solenoid still makes me go to fourth instead of second. I'm as baffled as you.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Weirdnes....do the radioshack thing, it worked for me no problem. Although, right now it's not even neccessary since my car got tuned after the cam installed and that thing was edited out.

Manny
Old 11-12-2005, 09:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you put the plug in the wrong solenoid, there are 2 under there one for the cags and one for the reverse.
Even if you didn't put anything in there the solenoid wouldn't operate, as it would have no power (although you'd have a service vehicle light on)
Recheck the installation, look on install university for some instructions (with pics) that are better than the SLP ones
Old 11-12-2005, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

That makes some sense. Because when I had it unplugged, it still worked and the light never came on. I'm new to the Ls1 world so could you explain what cags are?
Old 11-12-2005, 10:13 PM
12 Second Club

CAGS...Computer Aided Gear Shift I believe is the correct wording. Basically an EPA gas mileage thing. In an effort to make the car more fuel efficient when the gas pedal is depressed less than 25% and you shift out of first it forces you into 4th. I RARELY have this come on on my car. I thought it quit working all together but I did a short shift one day and it did force me to 4th. I'm ususally on it hard from a stop so it never bothers me.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

whats the radio shack thing?
Old 11-12-2005, 11:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
Sounds like you put the plug in the wrong solenoid, there are 2 under there one for the cags and one for the reverse.
Even if you didn't put anything in there the solenoid wouldn't operate, as it would have no power (although you'd have a service vehicle light on)
Recheck the installation, look on install university for some instructions (with pics) that are better than the SLP ones

Well following what you said and with the help of install university it works now. I read the SLP instructions again to see where I might have misread it but looks like the instuctions are actually wrong. Also the part is alot different from what I've seen in pictures on the net and the paper they gave me. Weird.

Well since I first did this like a few months ago and just now rectifiing the problem I forgot where the other plug goes into. Any thoughts? Everything seems to work, but maybe it is the reverse lock out as someone had mentioned? Either way thanks guys for your help!
Old 11-13-2005, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RICEBURNER
whats the radio shack thing?

Buy some resistors at Radioshack for like 99 cents, shove it in the plug, tape it up, same thing as the eliminators you can buy, just not as pretty. They have an article on it on install unversity.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like you plugged the res. into the reverse solinoid

Quick Reply: SKip shift Eliminator dead?