Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Please Come In If You Know About The T-56 !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 07:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Please Come In If You Know About The T-56 !!!!

Ok i have a issue with my transmission.
First off i have a 2000 z28 m6 with 96k i bought it from a 50 year old lasy so i dont think it was drove too hard.
My problem it it is semi hard to shift through the gear's EVEN when the car is OFF, i drove my buddy's 1998 z28 m6 and his shift's like butter.
I took my shifter off today and it isnt the shifter because the shifter moves really nice and easliy so i took a big chisle and stuck it where the bottom of the shifter ball connect to the ROD and it was just as hard to shift it with the chisle in there acting as a shifter. Also when i shift it into gear i can feel it go into gear i guess the saying is NOTCHY not sure but all i know is that it take a little bit of work to get it to go into EVERY gear.
I have a SLP shifter with a TNA shoft stick, before that it was just the stocker and even with the stocker in there it felt just the same way.
This is my first manual i have ever drove or owned so i did not know what to look or feel for.
I have called around to a few transmission shops and they said if it was thr shift forks then it would have somthing to do with internal ?
Also i do not know if it is a stock clutch. I have 96k on the car and have owned it since 82k mile's.
I have heard everything from bad clutch,bleed the system,wrong tranny fluid,low tranny fluid,synchros,pilot bearing,to shifter.
Keep in mind that it is still rought to shift when the car is OFF it doesnt matter if the clutch is in or out when ts off still feels the same.
It feel the same shifting it when its off as to when the car is running.
Please HELP Thank YOU !

Last edited by minesfaster; 11-14-2005 at 07:22 PM. Reason: -
Old 11-15-2005, 01:27 AM
TECH Regular

I've heard that T-56's are by design a "notchy" transmission.

For what it's worth, my '56 is the same way. Even with the engine off it still doesn't slide into gears. My previous two cars were both manuals and I didn't have the same problem with them, though one was a '67 Camaro RS with a M21, and the other was a '75 Chevy 4x4 Pickup so I'm comparing apples to oranges.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:00 AM
Teching In

This problem goes beyond the transmission just being "notchy." It is very stiff to move the stick left and right as well as to put it into gear. The stick will stay to the left or right when you are in neutral and move the stick over- it will not center itself like most shifters do. The force required to move the shifter any direction- whether or not the car is running and regardless of the clutch being disengaged- is freakin rediculous. I helped him take his shifter off because we thought that was the problem. With the shifter off of the transmission the stick would center itself and move around freely. Could the rod that runs into the tranny and connects to the shift forks be bent? That would make sense since it is VERY difficult to move the rod in and out with the shifter being off. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 11-15-2005, 03:43 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the shift fork is probably what is bent. You might be looking at some new parts for your transmission. It will improve. Mine was the same way until i got new steel shift forks synchros and the whole 9 yards.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:25 AM
Teching In

My bet is that either the shift rod is bent or the case is srewed up where the rod runs through it.

I guess the selector pin that moves back and forth between the shift forks could be bent or deformed.

It has to be something common to moving the shifter in and out and back and forth. It also has to be independent of the input shaft and whether or not it is turning.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:26 PM
TECH Regular

Thank you jeff for helping me out bro !

Quick Reply: Please Come In If You Know About The T-56 !!!!