Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

How long did it take you?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 02:01 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long did it take you?

Well, ive been driving my six speed TA for a day now. Its my first car along with my first manual tranny. I am getting pretty decent at starting. I was told by my dad not to worry about down shifting yet, when I need to stop just clutch and brake, then once im stopped, down shift to first, and ease the clutch out till the friction point, then push it a lil bit, and let off the brake, car should stay still, is this the propper way of doing this? Ive also went from second to fifth a few times, is that normal for a FNG? How long did it take you guys to get good at driving a manual transed car?
Old 11-20-2005, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Whenever i got my lisence, it took me about a week of driving it every day. Before that, i had been driving a stick once a week or so for 2-3 months. It doesnt take too long when you have to do it. Also I used to shift from 2nd to 6th every once in a while, when i would get on the highway, get up to speed, and then just level off.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:13 PM
11 Second Club

No,don't use the clutch to "hold" the car at a stop,use the brake.I might down shift to anticipate a light changing but I don't aggresively down shift when stopping,I just kick it into neutral and brake normal.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:29 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I would only down shift to brake if I was either driving REALLY aggresively or I NEED to stop NOW. It's been awhile since I've had a daily driver that was stick so it would take me about 5 mins to get it back.

Oh and not that I'm comparing you to a chick but I've taught a number of women to drive stick and before long they were driving like regular HELLIANS and racing all the time just be patient it'll come soon enough.

Quick Reply: How long did it take you?