Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

My Spec 3 Took A Crap! Opinions Please

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 01:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank god this thread has popped up, I am in the market for hydraulics and a clutch/pressure/flywheel. I was going to go with a Spec 3 or 4. After reading this, I am seriously pondering a Trans King TH400 from Madman. It will give me worry free operation and the only real drawback is that I lose my overdrive. I will have to sit down and figure out what I am doing before I go and buy all this M6 stuff.

Thanks
Andy
Old 11-29-2005, 01:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Letsndy
Do you guys think it could be a factorl lemon? Or am I doing something wrong? I just dont want to spend a fortune on clutches. Please give me your opinions good or bad. No smartass or worthless comments please.
They'll probably tell you that you had a bad clutch master cylinder like they told me. I'll never buy another SPEC clutch for as long as I live. Yeah I heard alot of good things about their clutches too, but 10 weeks after the install and not even 1500 miles mine took a ****. I took the $7XX.XX worth of **** out of my car and put a $212 locally built clutch went back to the track (after about 50 stop and go's) and pulled the wheels off of a 4300 rpm launch. Went back a little later on my very next pass and broke the ring and pinion in my Moser 12 bolt. I'll buy the locally built clutches from now on. It's truly amazing that an old man in KY can build a better clutch out of his garage than a huge company like SPEC can.

for my homeboys over at SPEC
Old 11-29-2005, 01:12 PM
12 Second Club

Just installed mine and worked pretty good . by the way Did you upgrade your master and slave cylinders?
Old 12-01-2005, 01:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 171 Likes on 112 Posts

I have a RAM 910 and VDS pressure plate with Fidanza alum wheel. I have about 10K miles on the setup and did a 400 mile mellow break in. I have never smelled clutch burning at all. About 10 passes at the strip so far and tons of hard street miles. Aside from it being a bit stiff I am very pleased.

I would get this clutch again. I was told it would hold 700hp. I'm going to be trying a NX150hp wet shot in a few weeks and try to run a 9.99@140mph+.

I avoided the Spec clutches like the plague after doing some research on here and reading about their hit/miss quality and of many people welding them to their flywheel with limited abuse. I would look at other brands.

Currently it has gone a 11.56@124mph, 11.51@126mph, 11.45@126.5mph with horrible 60' times on the motor. My car is a road race car and doesn't weight transfer well. Just blows the tires off. 1.89 60ft best
Old 12-01-2005, 10:32 PM
wrencher

This place is you best defense b-4 you buy parts IMO. Just search each clutch(or whatever) out.
Tons of posts like this one, spec no thanks.......
Old 12-01-2005, 10:49 PM
...with cheese.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

eh... I've had 3 SPEC 3's... Lets be realistic, how many people buy SPEC 3's as a first aftermarket clutch? Most of us do. It's sold almost everywhere and the price is hard to match. The more people that use a clutch the more people are going to have problems with them. I've welded 2 of my 3 clutches to the flywheel. 2 of the 3 were Iron or the "I" option. The last clutch was an "F" option carbon metallic if im not mistaken. Not a single problem with this clutch and I was making close to 800rwh at one point. If anything is wrong with these clutches it's the material they make them out of. If you get any metal hot enough it's going to melt right? Feathering a clutch at high rpms in a racing environment spells disaster to any clutch regardless of the manufacturer. I know a lot of you guys have been burn't by bad clutches and move onto more expensive clutches that give you less trouble, but in reality you get what you pay for. An unsprung SPEC 5 could put a tremendous amount of pressure on the back of the crank because it has less surface area than a Twin Disk setup. So you get equal clamping force of a Twin Disk for less money. The downside being you run the risk of damaging your thrust bearing from the excess clamping force and the sacrificed drivability of a clutch with very little give... eh I could go on forever, but in reality. If you can't change a clutch yourself and your not looking forward to dropping the transmission every 5-10k miles with propper driving, spend the money on a twin disk setup. You've got more surface area to distribute the load while keeping driveability. Thats the price you pay to have power...
Old 12-01-2005, 10:55 PM
...with cheese.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A few other things I forgot to mention. I'm running a SPEC 5 right now and driveability is fine... I would imagine a SPEC 4 would be cake. MightyMouse runs a SPEC 4 and makes retarded power also. The 3F I had previously I gave to a buddy of mine who makes 422rwhp the last time I had my car apart. That clutch has put up with hell for a good long while. The only thing SPEC doesn't impress me with is customer service. This is just a single incident but the guy I spoke with sounded like he hated life.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:06 PM
12 Second Club

I've been running a SPEC 3 for about 40k miles now

I bought it used with about 5k-8k miles (don't remember)

I run slicks at the track.

these clutches are the ****. A lot of the failures I've seen from a/m clutches is from folks that feather them too much on the street. You can't drive a race clutch like your stocker. Pull the engine a little lower so there's less time that the clutch is slipping or engage it quicker. It's what they're designed to handle
Old 12-02-2005, 08:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first let me start out by saying...Welcom to the club...

spec sucks..all i can say. spend the extra bucks and get yourself a decent clutch...i went with a textralia...nothing but good things with this clutch so far. holds the power and its incredible to drive around town...feels like a stock clutch. goodluck.