Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

01 SS stock flywheel... mechanic says can't be ballanced

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 07:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 SS stock flywheel... mechanic says can't be ballanced

Hey All,

Just had a CF DF clutch installed on my 01 SS of 23kmi, 1kmi ago. Getting a pretty good vibration between 1800 and 2400 RPM's even when in neutral (flywheel). My mechanic says it should go away after 1k of use with the new clutch and if it doesn't that it's on me because "you can't really ballance the stock POS flywheel"... any truth to this at all? Or is this guy blowing me off?

Oh yeah, there was no vibration before he installed the new clutch.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well when you buy the OZ700 Textrailia clutch it comes with GM Stock flywheel and they ZERO Balance it themselves. So it is possible but your's may be damaged?

-William
Old 12-07-2005, 12:21 AM
Teching In

Thanks SSDriver,

The shop did not alert me to any flywheel damage. In fact the speedshop owner talked me out of a new lightweight flywheel. If they had a ballancing issue, one would think they would bring this to my attention. They had the car for 1 week due to some hydrolics issue... had to replace the master and slave.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If personally prefer a steel flywheel. It depends on what your using the car for. If you plan on doing a lot of drag racing I would go with a steel flywheel, that added weight helps keep the motor from bogging on hard launches. If you plan on doing a lot of road racing you might look into an aluminum one, since your not really launching hard it steel isn't much of a benifit and the aluminum one will allow for faster revs. Now you can also go with a billet steel flywheel its about 6 pounds lighter than a stock flywheel(kind of heavy but not too bad). Also one of my friends just got his stock LS1 flywheel resurfaced and balanced with now issiues on his new clutch install.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:25 AM
Staging Lane

01ls1,
The Factory flywheel and pressure plate are balanced as a set, when you remove/discard the old pressure plate it leaves the flywheel which is only rough balanced. The balance will not get better with time, the factory flywheel should be able to be balanced though. If your mechanic does not have the means to do it send it to us and I will do it for you. Please feel free to call so we can discuss the OE balance issue with the LS1 futher.

Thank you,

Will Baty
Centerforce Clutches
(800) 932-5882

Quick Reply: 01 SS stock flywheel... mechanic says can't be ballanced