Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need Diagnoses on my T56 problem pease!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 09:30 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need Diagnoses on my T56 problem pease!

Here recently when I take my car out for a leasurely drive I get the weirdest noise that comes from the transmission and I dont know whats wrong. When I have my foot on the clutch and the transmission in gear every once in a while it will make a faint roaring noise (like a PTO winch), as soon as I knock it out of gear the noise stops. I dont know if its the transmission or if its the slave cyl or something along those lines, this just recently started happening intermittently. I have a spec stage 3 in there that has been working great for a year now and when I changed the clutch I did it right and changed the slave & master cyl out with the GM later model replacements. I also replaced the throw out bearing with a brand new one from GM, not the one Spec supplied in the kit. The car also has had a Moser 9" in it now that I installed 8 months ago if that has to do with anything. I did twist one axle in the 10 bolt with this transmission if that has any bearing on my problem either and have a vibration that I've been told is the drive shaft although it looks fine and the tranny seal has'nt cut into the yolk at all. I hope it's not the transmission but if it is I guess I need to know now before I tear up the gear clusters if I hadnt already. TIA!

Hummer
Old 12-12-2005, 09:48 AM
10 Second Club

Also, I have no grinding noises going on, it goes into gear noproblem, and the car has 63k miles.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:00 PM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you replace the pilot bearing w/ the clutch install?
They can make/cause funky noises alos if torn up.
If it is bad enough it can fubar the tip if your input shaft.
Other than that check your tran's fluid, might have a bearing issue in the trans.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:49 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Might be a synchro itching to go bad somewhere too. But TO bearing could be a possiblity as well.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:13 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by wrencher
Did you replace the pilot bearing w/ the clutch install?
They can make/cause funky noises alos if torn up.
If it is bad enough it can fubar the tip if your input shaft.
Other than that check your tran's fluid, might have a bearing issue in the trans.
Thanks for the suggestion. I didnt change the pilot bearing though, the car only had around 45k when I changed the clutch and now 63k. I'll look into it, I'll also check the fluid, that's what my pop suggested too.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:16 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Might be a synchro itching to go bad somewhere too. But TO bearing could be a possiblity as well.
I'm affraid it's a syncro, but I want to get a few opinions first before I go pulling the tranny and paying someone a butt-load to rebuild this thing.