Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch return spring & clutch master cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch return spring & clutch master cylinder

I had the dealership replace the clutch return spring on my 01 Hawk about three times. It kept breaking. The last time it snapped I just picked the pieces off the floor and through them in the center console. I checked this board and found that a few people were running without them without any issues. Well it has been about 15K miles now and the clutch master cylinder went out. Could not having the spring cause the master cylinder to fail prematurely? I figure maybe not having the spring is causing the hydraulics to work harder than they should. Any ideas???
Old 12-14-2005, 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

does it make that squeek noise? I heard a pop and then found a piece of spring on the floor... havent replaced it... drives fine
Old 12-14-2005, 04:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

considering it helps keep the hydrolics compressed, I dont know how it could cause your master to fail due to over working when in fact the master is now working less without the spring. The spring is a double function spring. Halfway through the pedal throw, it starts acting with you and helps you keep the pedal on the floor without stressing your leg. How you broke it 3 times, I dont know. I had mine in for 73k miles. I have had mine out for 3k miles and actually like the feel better than with the spring. I have had no problems at all either.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:56 AM
On The Tree

My understanding is that it's a fairly common occurance. GM issued a service bulletin on it. I'm just concerned that it may have caused the premature failure of the master cylinder. Thanks for the replies.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:22 AM
On The Tree

Do you mind me asking what the dealer charged and how long it took them to replace it? Mine broke a few weeks ago and I am thinking of not replacing it.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:49 AM
On the tree

That little spring is pricey, even with a GM discount on it, it is still $32 or so. I ahve replaced mine over 4 times already, two under warranty and two on my own. I have gotton so good at it that I can do it in less then 30 mintutes or so.

If your is squeaking then either the bushing the spring rides in on the end of the clutch pedal is broken or gone. It sits on the end of the clutch pedal fork spot and the bar of the spring rides in it.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

NO, that spring missing will not cause the master to go out. It will not affect the hydrolics in anyway, only pedal pressure.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:14 AM
SRM
TECH Apprentice

I ran without a spring for about a year. GM put a new one in 2 years ago while my car was in for warranty work. I'm still on my original clutch, master and slave. 68,000 miles.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

Mine isn't squeaking at all. It just has a click sound when I get closer to the floor. I just assumed it snapped because one day when depressed the clutch to start the car I heard a metalic snap and just assumed it broke. Since you got it down to a half hour can you pm me your steps to replace it or look to see if it actually broke? Thanks!
Old 12-16-2005, 12:51 PM
On the tree

First I hope you are not a tall person otherwise this is going to suck for you big time...

Slide the drivers seat all the way back.

Pull the under dash panel off.

Then I am trying to remember what all I did next, I pulled the rod off of the clutch pedal, you will need a small screwdriver to slide in uder the clip to get it off.

Once the rod if off I pull the clutch switch and some of the other electronics in order to get some room under the dash and the clutch area.

If you look at the top of the clutch pedal you will notice a little fork on the end, that is where the straight piece of the spring rides, there should be a little white plastic bushing sitting on the end of this also, it is the bushing that keeps the spring from squeaking.

From this point it will get frustrating, but I use a pair of really long needle nose pliers, stick one end of the spring in the hole and then stick the middle of the spring in the spot on the end of the clutch pedal where it rides then use the pliers to grab the other end of the spring and hope you have enough hand strength to hold onto it and get it into the other hole.

Once you get it in there you are done, but it is a bitch the first time, I promise you that you will swear every word you know and your back will be screwed for hours afterwards. I think they use little midgets to get under there and do it at the factory.

I ahve to lay me drivers side seat down flat and then lay my back in the bottom of the seat and hang my feet over the top so that I can get my shoulders into the floor under the dash and be able to get my hands up into the dash.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the reply and I wil try this once I get some free time.

Quick Reply: Clutch return spring & clutch master cylinder