Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tranny guys, lost order of spacers, help??

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 08:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny guys, lost order of spacers, help??

In the middle of a rebuild on t-56. I have 4 steel spacers I cant figure out which is which. Two are the same and flat, I think I know which ones those are. Third one is also flat, just a little bigger then the other two. Fourth one is not flat, it has a step on it. about the same size as the third one. Anyone know where they go?? Thanks for any help!
Old 12-20-2005, 11:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pics would help
Old 12-21-2005, 12:40 AM
Teching In

sorry, wife was gone with the camera. ok, I think I got it. What confused me is something was missing from tranny. Please correct me if I am wrong. In the picture from top row are the metal spacers that go go on either side of the roller bearing on tailshaft. middle row left, this is a metal spacer think it goes between reverse gear and snap ring. middle right, this is a plastic spacer, think it goes between reverse gear and synchro hub. lower row left, metal spacer, but it has a step inside it, think it goes between the two countershafts under 6th gear. and lower row right, a plastic spacer, thick, I think it goes inside third gear. I got messed up because I thought one of them was the spacer that goes between 6th gear and the synchro hub. I know I didnt lose it, cant ficd it anywhere. I dont remember taking it off either. Does anyone know what this one looks like? Plastic or metal? If its plastic could have turned to dust? 130K on tranny. Thanks again for the help.
Attached Thumbnails Tranny guys, lost order of spacers, help??-spacer.jpg  
Old 12-21-2005, 10:41 AM
Teching In

Also, does anyone know, can I get these spacers from parts at chevy?? If not where is the best place to get them quick?? Thanks
Old 12-21-2005, 11:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the first three you describe are right but the other three i can't really tell by the pic.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The first row has two spacers that strattle th rear mainshaft roller bearing
The flat , thick washer looks like a thrust washer that is placed behind the reverse driven gear.
The plastic part is a spacer that fits inside the third speed driven gear, under the cone end.
The stepped, cupped washer( powdered metal material) fits over the rear cluster gear extension joint.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:40 PM
Teching In

What exactly do you mean when you say powdered metal? I have include close ups of the "stepped" spacer. It looks like plain steel like the other. I also included a close up of the black plastic spacer. Still want to make sure this is the one that goes between reverse and the synchro assembly with the wave washer. Also still need some info on the spacer that I was missing, between 6th and the synchro houseing, what type it is (plastic or metal) and where I can get it. Dealer parts? Thanks again for the info guys.
Attached Thumbnails Tranny guys, lost order of spacers, help??-metelstep.jpg   Tranny guys, lost order of spacers, help??-plastic.jpg