Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

How to rid my car of this vibration...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 08:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to rid my car of this vibration...

Well I installed my new RAM HDX clutch in(which by the way drives alot better than the spec)And also put in a spec billet steel flywheel. Got everything on and turned on the car and I noticed it had a vibration. So I took it for a drive and about 3500 rpm's it was a bad vibration.. So my only thought it that the flywheel is unbalanced.... So I called around to get the flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate balanced. The only place I found was sunset racecraft(Semi local machine shop Lubbock, TX) to do this. But they told me that they needed my crankshaft to do this. I know that lt1's are externally balanced at the flywheel. So my question is what do I need to get this crap running smooth again..? Do I really need to take them my crank. Can't I just take them my old fly wheel and have them match this. Can the experts please help me out on this...??? I did a search which only resulted in more confusion for me...Sorry
Tried posting it in manual tranmission forum. Guess there are no experts there...
Old 01-17-2006, 09:50 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

How come you didn't just use the RAM flywheel with the RAM clutch parts? I've installed several LS1 clutches, and have never had one out of balance. The pressure plates should come balanced, and the flywheel too.

I would recommend contacting RAM to see what they might suggest.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I got the spec for 115 shipped..
Old 01-17-2006, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LT1s are externally balanced. This means that the crank is not balanced and the engine gets balanced by having a weight on the flywheel to offset the "heavy spot" on the crank.

If the machine shop can match the balance of the old pressure plate and flywheel combination to the new pressure plate and flywheel combination you can get away with it. The only problem is that you'll have to mount the new flywheel with the "heavy spot" in the same position as the "heavy spot" on the old flywheel was mounted to the crank. I'm assuming there's some kind of mark or something the factory puts on the crank/flywheel to indicate proper alignment?

If they can't match the balance of the old flywheel/pp then your only option is to have the crank, flywheel, and pressure plate balanced as an assembly or have the crank internally balanced (which gets expensive and way beyond where you wanna go).

LS1s are internally balanced and most aftermarket flywheels and pressure plates are neutral balanced to within GM spec so they usually don't need any help. Personally I wouldn't put a flywheel/pp combination on an engine without having it balanced because of risk of personal injury and serious damage to the engine or transmission. I'm not an LT1 or machine shop expert, but I hope this helps for what it's worth.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,438 Likes on 908 Posts

There is a dowel pin on the crank that lines up the flywheel. So it will only mount one way.

Technically if the clutch assembly is neutral balanced it will work fine with the stock flywheel that has the weight. Unfortunately many times the clutch itself is out of balance, so the flywheel and clutch must be balanced together for the proper counter weight and location on LT1s.
Any competant machine shop should be able to match balance your new flywheel and clutch assembly.

Andrew

Quick Reply: How to rid my car of this vibration...