Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Oil coming out of flywheel bolt holes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil coming out of flywheel bolt holes?

Tranny tech doing a clutch swap for me (ls7/ls2 combo), and said a "significant" amout of oil came out of the flywheel bolt holes when removing the flywheel bolts. I talked to the engine tech and said he's seen it before and to just put some sealer on the bolts. I went with new bolts with sealer already installed. I am doing a new rear main while I'm there for piece of mind. It had no oil residue in the bell housing. Anybody experience this before? Just curious. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My understanding is that the stock crank is hollow and has oil running through the center, there is a basically a freeze plug right behind the pilot bushing (hence the reason not to do the greese and toilet paper trick to get the pilot bearing out). I know a run of eagle crank's had an issue with the plug leaking and the solution was to replace the plug with a new one. I've also remeber a few people posting about the flywheel bolt holes "wheeping" and iirc most said that it was semi-common and to go ahead and seal the bolts.

Quick Reply: Oil coming out of flywheel bolt holes?