Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Where exactly is the clutch bleed valve (already tried "search")

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 11:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Default Where exactly is the clutch bleed valve (already tried "search")

May sound stupid.....but where EXACTLY is the clutch bleed screw. I am checkng my master cylinder to see if it's good/bad before pulling the trans for my clutch problem. I read that if the bleed valve isn't opened, I may not be able to get the QD from the master to the trans back in. Ok. I found the master cylinder line and QD into the trans. That was easy. I "thought" the clutch bleed valve was above this near the top of the trans. I couldn't feel it. I was feeling for a bleed nipple like on the brakes (7mm I believe?). I was feeling for it on the trans near the junction with the bellhousing. Am I even close? I'm doing this on my back with the car on ramps. Any info (or pictures) would be of great help right now. Thanks.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is a pic. Its the metal piece coming out of the slave above the QD fitting, the one with the red cap on it. It's 11mm I believe.

Old 01-30-2006, 11:15 PM
12 Second Club

Geez, I was looking right at it and didn't realize what it was! Thanks for the pic, that helps a lot.

Now I can only hope my master cylinder is BAD.....because then I won't have to pull everything apart........
Old 01-31-2006, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's 7/16" you can get a normal small socket with a small 1/4 dr socket in tehre without banging the trans tunnel
Old 02-05-2006, 10:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you bleed this doesnt fluid drip down into the bellhousing and ruin your clutch!??!
Old 02-06-2006, 01:20 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ls1Envy
When you bleed this doesnt fluid drip down into the bellhousing and ruin your clutch!??!
The fluid is dripping down the side of the slave and out the bottom where the trans meets the bellhousing. It's not getting into the pressure plate or clutch disk. I bled mine yesterday after replacing the master cylinder and removed the trans 30 milutes later (when I realized the master cylinder wasn't the cause of my problems.) The pressure plate and clutch disk were bone dry. The bottom of the slave had some fluid.