Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Double cone vs Triple cone design?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 03:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double cone vs Triple cone design?

Can anybody tell me how the cones inside a T56 work? Also which is better a double cone or triple cone design? What are the pros and cons of each?
Old 02-01-2006, 06:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is more to go into than I am going to state here. Basicly:The double/ tripple cone reference is in the synchronizer design. More cones= more frictional elements. Generally this also means a higher synchronizer capacity. You will only experience the differences when you deliver a high demand shift. The downside is that there is drag associated with each friction element when not used . Also, because they are packaged in the same space, there is less wear tolerence given to the tripple cone"stack".
Old 02-01-2006, 06:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if given the opportunity, would it be a good idea to get a tranny with the triple cone design for my car. My car is not a DD and is going drag and street only. But mostly drag car.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A drag car is always shifted hard and as such, I would not spend any + for a synchronizer designed to shift smoothly at low speed. Fact is , the higher capacity would allow a quicker high speed shift but if you don't have trouble with 2-cone why complicate things( and +$$) with a tri-cone?

Quick Reply: Double cone vs Triple cone design?