Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch problem with mcleod twin

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question clutch problem with mcleod twin

Alright here is my problem. I put a Mcleod twin disk in my car. It came with the adjustable master. So far the clutch has been great. It is still going through it's break in period. Only 200 miles on it. Now on the way home from lunch in heavy traffic is where I got a major problem. I got in the left turn lane and pushed in the clutch and for some reason the car kept wanting to go forward, seemed like the clutch would not disengage. Then the clutch pedal stayed at the floor and had to pull it up. Did this again. So same problem. I did smell some clutch smell. Got to the mall and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Then drove the car home and it was fine, no slipping, Nothing. I'm stumped on what is wrong. I checked the fluid in the reservior and it was full. You guys have any ideas on what is wrong????? Thanks

almost forgot to add that the drill mod has been done also.

Last edited by scramblerman; 02-13-2006 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:46 PM
wrencher

You can try to bleed it & see if by chance you have some air in it.
Otherwise you may have a common problem McLeod adjustable masters have been known for.

Well your not gonna want to hear this, but that brand new master prolly needs to be rebuilt. They are a pain in the @ss. But IMO I love the pedal feel & response the master gives me, so I deal w/ it being a pain. I rebuilt mine twice in 4 years & has been great. I flush the fluid often though as well. CNC makes the masters & it is known they can be problematic. Some masters have more problems more than others.
I rebuild them this way & it works out great, get either a CNC/ McLeod master rebuild kit. OR since yours is basically new, get a 13/16 wheel cylinder puck. (less than a $1 from a parts store)
Then you need a wheel cylinder hone. disassemble the master, hone the bore with brake fluid as a lubricant. Then clean w/brake parts cleaner real well. Reassemble the pieces wet w/ brake fluid. Then bench bleed w/ the line installed & put it in the car.
Make sure you use a hose clamp to retain the fluid reservoir hose to the master as well. It will be a little sticky at first, but will wear in & pedal will be consistant.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks wrencher! I figured that the adjustable master would have no problems considering it looks like a nice piece. I had to wait 2 months for this piece of crap, otherwise I would of had the clutch in alot sooner. The pedal feel is great how ever. Thanks again. At least one person ansewered my question.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:05 PM
TECH Resident

Mcleod master strikes again!