Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Yet another...ls7 clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 11:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Yet another...ls7 clutch question

Did a search and most of the questions I was thinking about were answered, save for a couple.

My trans is out right now currently somewhere over the United States getting shipped to t56rebuilds. My stock clutch is looking fine with almost 70k on it since I have only been to the strip once and evidentaly don't burn it too much. I'm looking to upgrade though and the most obvious choice is the ls7 for it's shiny happy OEM'ness and also price. I was also going with the Fidanza Alum. flywheel. My cars an 01 so all I'm doing is the drill mod and replacing the slave since I'm down there.

My power level is going to max at a good h/c/e set up, probaly around 440 rwhp and as streetable as possible if I can. I'm not a big 1/4 miler and usually road race which is why I'm getting the aluminum fw.

1. Considering how well my stocker ls6 lived up to what I thought was a hard life I am figuring that the ls7 will hold up more then enough to what I have planned. Anyone have a differant opinion? I will be ordering my clutch this week so I'd like to know I'm getting what I need. I hate having to do clutch jobs and I don't want to do another one for a LONG time. I'm looking for as close to stock feel as possible and low noise.

2. How did the Fidanza fw/ls7 clutch problem work out? I was reading that there was a bunch of problems regarding pedal height with the alum fw because the thickness could be a little off, leading to needing to shim the slave. But, the ls7 is also self adjusting so did that work out?
Old 03-01-2006, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) ur stocker will most likely wont handle a h/c/e. My friend has a 228/228 cam in his ws-6 with stock clutch and he is slippin pretty badly. I have an ls7 clutch in my car and it feels great. Feels exactly like my stocker except this one grabs a little sooner. I've gotten used to it so it all good.

2) Only problem i've heard about the aluminum flywheel is that its gonna bog the engine down alot easier then the oem steel. I have an oem ls2 flywheel and it works perfectly. Never heard that the ls7 is adjustable. I would like to know more about this
Old 03-01-2006, 12:51 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh yeah, I know the ls6 clutch won't handle too much over stock power but I was figuring that the ls7 would be sufficient. There is a lot of talk about how it would handle high power track use. Like I said, I won't be going down the quatermile too often so it won't be abused that much. The only real stress it'll get is being able to hold running through the gears on a RR track.

There was a guy on here who had to shim his slave because the clutch pick-up was too low with the fidanza aluiminum fw. I don't know if there were any others who have that combo and had a similiar experiance.

However, a lot of people were saying that after break-in the ls7 clutch tends to have a higher release point. It was mentioned that the ls7 clutch was self adjusting.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm real curious about the shim situation also. I'm ready to buy a clutch, and am tossing CFDF and the LS7.

For those with the clutch broken in, how high is the engagement?
Old 03-01-2006, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i never had to shim my clutch. I kinda like it the way it is.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CaliboyTA
i never had to shim my clutch. I kinda like it the way it is.
Was the engagement right off the floor at first, and did it come up after break in? Have ya given it a nasty dig yet?
Old 03-01-2006, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well its probably 3/4 inch off the floor for engagement. I have some air in my master so i need to rebleed the system after i get my drill mod, Its been raining for most of the week so i haven't really opened it and also i have absolutly no thread on my tires. It was pretty interesting driving with the tcs off.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by blackrat
There was a guy on here who had to shim his slave because the clutch pick-up was too low with the fidanza aluiminum fw. I don't know if there were any others who have that combo and had a similiar experiance.
That was probably me. Haven't had time to pick it up yet, probably Fri or Sat, then I need to put enough break-in miles on it before 3/19.