Melted Clutch Line

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 02:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Melted Clutch Line

Hey Fellows .... I'm trying to help my son with his Trans-Am
It's a 2000 with the ls1 5.7 v8

He put a set of headers on it and the clutch line got against a header and melted the hose inside the stainless braiding. There is nothing wrong with the master cylinder. It's new. so is the Slave cylinder. I was hoping someone would know where I can order a replacement hose. GM sales the hose only with the Master Cylinder.

I'm not a newibe ... I'm an old mopar guy trying to help his son. I would appreciate any help. This clutch has been a major pain.

thanks
GR
Old 03-01-2006, 02:45 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you'll find that's the case no matter where you look. I know Textralia is working on a new Stainless Steel line that will work with the stock Master, but it is about $150 from what I've heard. I think McLeod sells one too, but it is supposedly the same price. I think the issue is the quick disconnect...it is a GM only item.

You'll most likely have to get a new Master, and really make sure that new line stays out of the way.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:43 PM
11 Second Club

check out your local f-body club. i'll bet several will have a spare/old line from previous clutch/master cyl. upgrades. plus you and your son may want to join club together. search local boards and ask. line you want comes with new master cyl.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

in this situation, get the McLeoud line from thunder racing (~140 bux) Thats the only available line you can get by itself, and its an upgrade from stock (larger diameter, and no built in restriction)
Old 03-02-2006, 06:12 PM
Teching In

I really appreciate the suggestions. I'm excited about this car because my son will have to learn to work on it him self. At his pay he can't afford a mechanic. I've been waiting for 23 years to help him.

Run hard , run fast... run safe !

GR
Old 03-03-2006, 06:57 AM
TECH Regular

Take the melted hose in to an industrial rubber/hose shop in the nearest city. They can probably make you a replacement using the old connectors.

I'm pretty sure someone out there is selling a replacement hose for these things too. It's intended to deal with the restriction issue without having to resort to the drill mod....or am I mistaken?
Old 03-03-2006, 07:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Head over to the "Parts Wanted" for a old master and swap the line over. Who knows someone may just have a junk master laying around, worth a shot.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:57 AM
Launching!

Exact same thing happened to me after a shop did some dumb sh*t.

I ended up just replacing the master cylinder because I was running out of options, it would leak the DOT fluid on the header and smoke, and after about 30 minutes it would be bad enough that you could barely shift.

When you replace the line, MAKE SURE you route it as far away from the headers as possible AND slide the rubber heat shield on the hose to a position that will keep it protected. I'll probably go the extra mile to be safeand put some thermal insulation around it, because the whole thing was a pain in the ***.

A local shop told me they would be able to get just the hose, but I never went that route with it, so I don't know if they actually can or not.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:12 PM
TECH Addict

I'd check the local junk yards to see if they have an M6 f-body laying around and just buy it off them. Once the new line is in, route it as far away from the header as possible and insulate the line with some 3/8" heater hose.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:01 PM
10 Second Club

Hey I know this is an old thread but I contacted Thunder Racing and they said they have never heard of the replacement line from Mcleod so I call Mcleod and got the part number called Thunder back and ordered it. The part number is 139212 and they are about $78.00 if anyone else happens to need this info.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:19 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MyriadPhoenix
Hey I know this is an old thread but I contacted Thunder Racing and they said they have never heard of the replacement line from Mcleod so I call Mcleod and got the part number called Thunder back and ordered it. The part number is 139212 and they are about $78.00 if anyone else happens to need this info.
WTF...never heard of them? I ordered mine from them...I don't see it on their website anymore, but they used to have it. I have the invoice to prove it.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:36 PM
10 Second Club

It may have been someone new I don't know but now the person knows so its all good.

Quick Reply: Melted Clutch Line