Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Are SPEC clutches really that bad??

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did close to 40,000 miles with a Spec 2. I recently took it out and replaced it with a SPEC 5. Other than some hot spots on the flywheel that was causing some chatter the PP and disk showed like no wear. I beat the hell out of that clutch, a 9" makes you do that!
Old 03-03-2006, 11:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 93formto98T/A
Where'd you get your tranny blanket?
ExoticMuscle.com
Old 03-04-2006, 06:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

I have just recently started having problems with another spec 3 but again, spec is covering it and even upgrading me to a stg3+ for an extra $150. This is suppose to be a better driving and hold over 800 ft lbs of tq. My car did not over power the stg 3 but it weighed to much for 6500 rpm launches or 4 grand launches on the nitrous. Stg3+ should do just fine. Trans is out getting a rebuild and clutch going back to spec monday so I should be back together in 2 weeks or so.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:42 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stage 4 here. Thought about the stage 5 when nitrous comes into the equation. Love my specs!
Old 03-04-2006, 08:07 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I hace a TH350 now cause I blew up one S3 and 4 S4F clutches last year.

Nuff said.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Steve Burger
I hace a TH350 now cause I blew up one S3 and 4 S4F clutches last year.

Nuff said.

OK, I'll bite. How could you manage to blow up 4 clutches in a year? Damn! Not saying it didn't happen. I just want to avoid what you were doing since I'm running one.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=JoeyAndersonUnless you're looking to spend $1k+ on a Textralia or Exedy clutch, what other clutch even comes close? When it comes to bang for the buck factor, SPEC is impossible to touch.

.[/QUOTE]

The old adage is true here...you get what you pay for. More precisely, with the Tex and Exedy, peace of mind.

F
Old 03-05-2006, 08:22 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Launching on ET drags at 6500 RPM. About 100 passes a year on average. The S3 lost all material on the disk after 5000 miles. the 3 S4F clutches welded to the FW after a hard launch.

SPEC kept sending me the "New and Improved Disk Compount guarranteed not to stick". After the 3rd one did, I pulled the T56, sold it, and installed a TH350.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Launching on ET drags at 6500 RPM. About 100 passes a year on average. The S3 lost all material on the disk after 5000 miles. the 3 S4F clutches welded to the FW after a hard launch.

SPEC kept sending me the "New and Improved Disk Compount guarranteed not to stick". After the 3rd one did, I pulled the T56, sold it, and installed a TH350.

He is not kidding, I saw some of those aftermaths. Probably the main reason I went with Textralia.

To me it's not worth the risk. If a clutch blows you might lose a leg; those pieces can cut thru a stock bellhousing like glass. FWIW, a Mcloud bellhousing is going in my car along with the clutch.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There are plenty of specs running around the world just fine, yet there are a handful that went bad. You guys have failed to mention one extremely large factor in death of parts.... Install error. Lets face it, there are a lot of unskilled people out there doing work for themselves. I'm not saying that's a bad thing or that they will all damaged something, but I think most of you will agree that there have been some people that you honestly think should never touch a wrench again. You have to belive that at least some of the issues seen is do to install error.

The worst rep that spec has is chatter. Which I agree is a bit annoying. You also have to remember that this is a performance application. It's something that you need to fully understand before you commit to a purchase such as this. The other factor again is install error. I know a lot of people never replace the pilot bearing/bushing when they do an install, most don't replace or resurface the FW, most don't TQ the bolts to spec ect. That's going to cause chatter in some applications.

Personally, I would like to see an upgraded hydraulic unit for LT1 systems. I got rid of 99% of my chatter by working on the hydrolics. I personally feel that it's one of the main reasons for chatter, but I have yet to prove it.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:44 AM
wrencher

I dont know, but a clutch that is prone to chatter, & possibly explode or weld to the flywheel=no thanks.
Must be the cheap bastard factor that people still buy them.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wrencher
I dont know, but a clutch that is prone to chatter, & possibly explode or weld to the flywheel=no thanks.
Must be the cheap bastard factor that people still buy them.

It's closed minded ignorance like that which leads to people believing that it's a bad product. They are no more "prone" to anything then other performance clutches.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:47 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by HBHRacing
It's closed minded ignorance like that which leads to people believing that it's a bad product. They are no more "prone" to anything then other performance clutches.
My closed minded ignorance? I am reporting MY PERSONAL RESULTS. Draw your own conclusion. As evidence of my general stupidity, SPEC kept sending me new clutches. They found them defective.

On the installation front. I installed a couple and had the others done professionally. Guess we are all below your ability.

Are you a SPEC dealer?

Flame away!
Old 03-05-2006, 11:55 AM
Teching In

I have had a stage 4 and 2 stage 5 specs all gave up within 8-12 passes. I now have a mcloud twin no problems. 650+ rwhp and 6000rpm lanches!
Old 03-05-2006, 12:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My closed minded ignorance? I am reporting MY PERSONAL RESULTS. Draw your own conclusion. As evidence of my general stupidity, SPEC kept sending me new clutches. They found them defective.

On the installation front. I installed a couple and had the others done professionally. Guess we are all below your ability.

Are you a SPEC dealer?

Flame away!

In case you were unaware, if you look at the quote text in my reply you will see that I was not talking to you. I was simply stating that just because a few people on the internet have problems with a product, doesn't mean that it's bad. He made an ignorant comment to which I replied. It has nothing to do with you. Share your thoughts and stories, no one is telling you otherwise.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Ive had a Ram 402/610 setup before great strip clutch but horrible chatter on the street. Now I have the latest version of the spec 3f. It has incredible street manners and Ive seen one hold a 408 and 200 shot making 750+ rwhp very well. I LOVE this clutch and Im also running a Fidanza Alum flywheel. I think clutch explosions are caused by excessive chatter and the clutch assembly not balanced properly. My assembly is as smooth as glass throghout the RPM range.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:27 PM
wrencher

I am also speaking from my experence. From installing them even on non-LSx applications they've had problems.
I have seen the results of them exploding in person, no thanks.
Also seen / had them weld up solid. So I will speak from experence.

Originally Posted by HBHRacing
The worst rep that spec has is chatter. Which I agree is a bit annoying.
Your own words, they ARE prone to chatter.
Why is it that other performance clutches dont have that problem, oh ya their clutches are not a cheap piece of ****.
There are plenty of people out there that are strapped for cash/dont know any better that will nedd a clutch cheap. They go spec. You get what you pay for .
Done nothing else to be said.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i've slept on this a few days and have decided ls7 clutch. if this doesn't work out for me, i'll just park the car until i can afford a textralia.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

as it was stated above:

When racing safety comes first, no matter what!! That you cant put a price on!!

If I hear stories of clutches exploding, falling apart or wearing out extremely fast, then yeah I'm going to stay far away from those clutches. Simply put yes many users may like Spec but since there is a handfull of stories of the specs falling apart, then yeah i will not buy them. I dont care who installed it or not, my passengers and myselfs legs are worth more then just saving a few bucks on a cheap clutch.

On my 01 z28 m6, my factory slave cylinder exploded, placing holes in and cracking the bellhousing. If a slave cylinder can due that I can only imagine the damage a friction plate or pressure plate could do.

I have 95,xxx miles on my factory ls6 clutch. Those miles are many track passes (12.5x), autoX races and street races. With about 360rwhp. That just proves the ls6 clutch is good. So I believe unless you have the cash or have 500+rwhp, stick with the ls6 or ls7 clutch. Once you have the $$$ and or the HP, buy a mcloud/exedy and also buy the mcloud bellhousing, dont be cheap!

Safety first!
Old 03-07-2006, 03:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by wrencher
I am also speaking from my experence. From installing them even on non-LSx applications they've had problems.
I have seen the results of them exploding in person, no thanks.
Also seen / had them weld up solid. So I will speak from experence.

Your own words, they ARE prone to chatter.
Why is it that other performance clutches dont have that problem, oh ya their clutches are not a cheap piece of ****.
There are plenty of people out there that are strapped for cash/dont know any better that will nedd a clutch cheap. They go spec. You get what you pay for .
Done nothing else to be said.
My Ram setup chattered HORRIBLY! The spec 3f does not chatter..even with the aluminum flywheel. I dont know about the regular spec 3, for an extra $150 i definitely go with the F option. A much better clutch IMHO.....

Quick Reply: Are SPEC clutches really that bad??