Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Are SPEC clutches really that bad??

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 08:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Again Thanks to EVERYONE who replied!! :)

Originally Posted by Thndrstrkz
I mean people have been running them in HIGH POWERED Camaros/Firebirds and even Mustangs without an issue.Why all of a sudden they are blowing apart? Doesn't make sense to me. I am in need of a clutch badly, and for the price ya can't go wrong. I was going to go with either a SPEC 2/or 2+ with an SLP LIGHTWEIGHT BILLET FLYWHEEL.Hell I am even going to replace the pressure plate and flywheel bolts as well as upgrade the hydraulics. Could it be just human error in installing? I do believe just recently i read a negative feed on a TEX clutch,and come to find out the installer used ANTI-SEIZE on the pressure plate bolts!!!! I would it to remain a street driven vehicle but looking to put down about 475-550 rwhp. All engine. ANY help with this issue would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!! THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!
Well after many weeks of forum reading and many 3am late nights having to work the next day I finally decided on a clutch setup!! I went with the NEW SPEC 2+ rated to 620 ft-lbs torque with an SLP LIGHTWEIGHT FLYWHEEL. I have also purchased new ARP flywheel and PP bolts AND replacing ALL of my hydraulics and will have the drill out mod done. I think everything should be fine seems how I won't be doing any 6 grand clutch dumps any time soon especially with my STOCK 10-bolt!!! Again Thanks to all!!!
Old 03-09-2006, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

You guy's make me feel a little better about installing my brand new spec stage III clutch/flywheel that was suppost to go into another car but instead has just been sitting around for the past three years.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
If you want to roll the dice to see if you end up being "one of those guys with an exploded SPEC clutch", feel free to do so.

As for me, I wouldn't run one if it were given to me free.

One instance of an explosion is "huh, that's weird". Two... three... four... too many for me.
Then what would you recommend or are using presently?
Old 04-07-2006, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Unhappy

I've just purchased a SPEC stage 2 clutch. I havnt gotten it yet, its still in transit, but now im really starting to doubt SPEC. I bought it mainly because the price was right and there were alot of people saying that SPEC was ok. I ordered the Clutch and flywheel package that comes with: clutch, pressure plate, billet flywheel, and throw out bearing. Does anyone have experience with a stage 2 SPEC? Im going to take it somewhere to get it installed, im not doing it myself. I hope this purchase wasnt a mistake.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:42 PM
TECH Regular

I just checked my new stage 2+ & billet flywheel balance in a local shop. It was only 10 grams off. Though, I had them put better pressure plate loc pins, they were loose allowing pressure plate move around.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:49 PM
11 Second Club

spec stage 3- one was defective after 5k miles of driving (beatin the ***** off of her)
got another one for free- NIIIIIICEEEEEEEE. beat the ***** off of her at track, on street, that baby GRABS!
Old 04-07-2006, 02:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear the spec 3's are real hard on the stock 10 bolt because the grab so hard. Would the stage 2+ be a little easier on the 10 bolt and still hold 420 rwhp well. I think I'd still be worried about it exploding though! If spec clutch's have such a bad reputation, then why do most of the shops stock and recommend them?
Old 04-07-2006, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have a SPEC 3 in mine that was transferred when I did the M6 swap. Never got to take a look at the clutch but a buddy said that it wasn't in the greatest shape. So far I've given it hell, minus a little chatter, it's still grabbing really hard. Next clutch will be a SPEC 3+.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:26 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah i broke my tranny mount after my stage 3 install, lol!! and a few weeks ago, i broke my rear at the track, ON STREET TIRES, lol its ok tho, i have a 9inch now
Old 04-07-2006, 04:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, when I bought the car it had a Spec Stage 1 and it took a dump on me at about 800 miles into its breaking in. But, being a broke high school kid, I could only afford another Stage 1 spec and so far its been in for about 1200 miles and running great. Its felt great, but once I get more money, I will definitely look into upgrading it.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98TADRIVER
Yeah i broke my tranny mount after my stage 3 install, lol!! and a few weeks ago, i broke my rear at the track, ON STREET TIRES, lol its ok tho, i have a 9inch now

I guess what I heard about the spec stage III being hard on the stock 10 bolt might be true lol!
Old 04-08-2006, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

What would you guys buy first? A centerforce clutch or SPEC clutch?
Old 04-08-2006, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by michaelg589
I've just purchased a SPEC stage 2 clutch. I havnt gotten it yet, its still in transit, but now im really starting to doubt SPEC. I bought it mainly because the price was right and there were alot of people saying that SPEC was ok. I ordered the Clutch and flywheel package that comes with: clutch, pressure plate, billet flywheel, and throw out bearing. Does anyone have experience with a stage 2 SPEC? Im going to take it somewhere to get it installed, im not doing it myself. I hope this purchase wasnt a mistake.
I've had one in my car for a decent amount of time. So far no slipping, no problems.

If anyone is that worried about their safety with a clutch exploding, regardless of brand, buy a damn scatter shield and be done with it.
Old 04-08-2006, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Let's put it this way, I had a SPEC 2 for 40,000 miles and no problems. Just put in a SPEC 5 with their billet flywheel and the reason for the swap was a McLeod scatter shield.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:07 AM
Launching!

Joe at T56rebuilds.com (he rebuilt my T56, go figure) says he's been using SPECs a long time and has never had any trouble. He's running mid tens on his stage 3. Says nearly all clutch problems people have with F-bodys are from the hydraulics. Replace the slave everytime you have the tranny off if you can and bleed, bleed, bleed, bleed the system well.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:14 AM
Launching!

Oh yeah, do you have to have a SPEC balanced before you can put it on? The McLeods and Textralias both say they come pre-balanced, ready to install. Just curious 'cause my stock clutch with 43k miles is starting to feel funky.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

SPEC's are prebalanced also, but I always get any clutch rebalanced at a local machine shop. It seems like they always need a little tweaking,and it's cheap insurance.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:59 AM
12 Second Club

I will never buy a Spec again. The thing chatters so bad that I am seriously thinking about just dumping it for a quality clutch.

I have about 2-3k on it and the chatter is still there. I was told that within 500 miles the chatter would go away. Nope.

Stay clear of Spec and get yourself a quality piece like the McCleod. <--Thats my next clutch.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:00 PM
11 Second Club

the only clutch ive ever heard of blowing up is the SPEC stage 3. All the other 'stages' seem to be fine. And I would not trust a tranny blanket for a 6speed. Your gonna have to get an SFI approved McLeod steel bellhousing for 100% sure safety.

Quick Reply: Are SPEC clutches really that bad??