Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Spec...ram....

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 07:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec...ram....

Why are spec clutches talked about soo much more than RAM clutches.are they really that much better?

is there any difference?
are people biased since they have one and not the other?
better craftsmanship?materials?name?
I DEFINITLEY DONT WANT A PIG-SQUEALIN CAR.

i really dont know which one to go with.
lots of horror stories with SPEC...or so ive read....lot of good stories too.and people say: the more you sell the more probs u have.but i dont know.if we could have an end-all be-all thread about SPEC vs RAM; it would be nice to sticky this for us clutch rookies.so u could point to a thread and say" READ THIS!".

i just want a definitive answer.

but then again i think its the old saying ringing:"BEAUTY IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER"
Old 03-03-2006, 07:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

SPEC:
Spec Stage5 Clutch Kit for extremely modified drag race and pulling engines, or applications that call for a "slipper" clutch/progressive torque-induced engagement. These Spec Stage5 clutches are best ordered as custom configured and should be ordered after providing specific information about the car and it purpose to a SPEC technical assistant. Spec Stage5 Clutch Kit is not street-friendly due to harsh engagement.

RAM:
Powergrip HD sets are the ultimate for extreme street/strip performance. Using our proprietary 900 series friction material in conjunction with increased clamp load pressure plates, you get maximum holding power for track or street, with only minimal reduction in driveability. This is the set for big power street cars! Some chatter will occur on takeoff. Use only with RAM billet steel or factory nodular iron (explosion resistant) flywheels.

i dony know if its fair to compare the stage 5 to the HD but.....
Old 03-03-2006, 08:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

I run the Ram VDS/910, which I believe would be their HD with the 900 series disc.

It's stiff (which I like), it does chatter a little, but would certainly be daily driveable (assuming your daily drive doesn't consist of a lot of stop-n-go traffic, 'cuz that would get old, and you'd get a work out on the left leg).

I think you need to pin down what your goals are. By reading the description, the Spec 5 sounds like a pretty dang serious non-street clutch. But I think you'd likely be beyond a Spec 3 with the TNT on there. Spec 3's aren't a bad mild heads/cam daily driver clutch, but for spray and/or a car that gets raced at the dragstrip, I wouldn't do it.

You also don't mention your gears. The higher (numerically) your gear ratio, the less you'll be impacted by chatter and/or a grippy clutch (it's easier to get a car moving with higher gears).

It really kinda depends on what you're willing to live with. There are trade offs... pedal pressure & chatter versus grip versus long life. Grippy high power clutches will have higher pedal pressure, more chatter, and a shorter life. Clutches that hold less power will have lighter pressure, less chatter, and a longer life.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:51 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by '02SS
Why are spec clutches talked about soo much more than RAM clutches.are they really that much better?

is there any difference?
are people biased since they have one and not the other?
better craftsmanship?materials?name?
I DEFINITLEY DONT WANT A PIG-SQUEALIN CAR.

i really dont know which one to go with.
lots of horror stories with SPEC...or so ive read....lot of good stories too.and people say: the more you sell the more probs u have.but i dont know.if we could have an end-all be-all thread about SPEC vs RAM; it would be nice to sticky this for us clutch rookies.so u could point to a thread and say" READ THIS!".

i just want a definitive answer.

but then again i think its the old saying ringing:"BEAUTY IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER"
Only the Spec 5's squeak from what I've heard. A Spec 4 may give you the hold you need without the squeak FWIW.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:57 AM

I hate Spec. I like Ram. Ive had both. The Spec lasted me 5,000 miles with no races and on radials and was told it was normal.... I dont think Ive ever seen a Ram thread where it blew up and came through the floor.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

please correct me if i'm wrong, but AFAIK Spec clutches are the only brand that has had multiple explosions on this board?
Old 03-03-2006, 11:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

No, several Cartek and at least a couple Exedy clutches have popped as well.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
I run the Ram VDS/910, which I believe would be their HD with the 900 series disc.

It's stiff (which I like), it does chatter a little, but would certainly be daily driveable (assuming your daily drive doesn't consist of a lot of stop-n-go traffic, 'cuz that would get old, and you'd get a work out on the left leg).

I think you need to pin down what your goals are. By reading the description, the Spec 5 sounds like a pretty dang serious non-street clutch. But I think you'd likely be beyond a Spec 3 with the TNT on there. Spec 3's aren't a bad mild heads/cam daily driver clutch, but for spray and/or a car that gets raced at the dragstrip, I wouldn't do it.

You also don't mention your gears. The higher (numerically) your gear ratio, the less you'll be impacted by chatter and/or a grippy clutch (it's easier to get a car moving with higher gears).

It really kinda depends on what you're willing to live with. There are trade offs... pedal pressure & chatter versus grip versus long life. Grippy high power clutches will have higher pedal pressure, more chatter, and a shorter life. Clutches that hold less power will have lighter pressure, less chatter, and a longer life.

thank you camaroholic a true explanation of what a performance clutch will yield.country boy i agree with you.im probably going to do a cam laaater in life but for now my goal is to get a standalone fuel system and run a big shot;200-250.i will get some 4.11's sooner or later.
but i think the RAM HD will suit my needs for now.thanks for your guys' opinions.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've had spec and two different ram clutches. both rams never lasted me over 2,500mi. and the spec did'nt last any longer. however,the spec did take way more punishment then either of the rams could. so just choose one and get it over with.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mike c.
i've had spec and two different ram clutches. both rams never lasted me over 2,500mi. and the spec did'nt last any longer. however,the spec did take way more punishment then either of the rams could. so just choose one and get it over with.
That's not encouraging.. lol

Sounds like a lot of people have had the same experience as you mike.

maybe I should just drop the dough on a textralia and get it over with
Old 03-03-2006, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
No, several Cartek and at least a couple Exedy clutches have popped as well.
ok. any RAMS had that problem?
Old 03-04-2006, 10:10 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

the stg 5 some squeak some dont. if it holds the way ive personally seen i can live with a squeak. i have also seen alot of rams fail quickly even with PROPER break-in which i think might be another issue that alot of people get is it isnt broken in correctly. also specs have stock or near stock pedal pressure . the stg5's are a pleasure to drive just have to get used to the engagment point and the minamal slipage not bad at all.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do you guys know that TSP(imo one of the leading ls1 part retailers), doesnt carry nor recommend SPEC clutches anymore; yet they completely bought out ALL of RAM's current stock of clutches.

i think that says it all.

besides; this guy who said that his RAM clutches didnt last past 2500mi.i havent heard anyone else with a claim like that,ever.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by '02SS
besides; this guy who said that his RAM clutches didnt last past 2500mi.i havent heard anyone else with a claim like that,ever.
Its pretty crazy reading all of the threads on RAM and SPEC. Honestly, it seems a lot of people have had tremendous success or utter failure with these two clutches. I don't think that either is a bad clutch, and with the amount of people running SPEC without problems, I'd lean in that direction over the RAM. Personally though, I'm going LS7 clutch for stockish mannerisms.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also, you can't assume that just because TSP switched to RAM from SPEC is because its a poor product. That might be the case in this matter, but is not something that can generally be assumed.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:29 PM
TECH Addict

Ive read good things about both of them
Old 03-06-2006, 07:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Rescue Ranger
Also, you can't assume that just because TSP switched to RAM from SPEC is because its a poor product. That might be the case in this matter, but is not something that can generally be assumed.

maybe not.or maybe you can when a few people from there have told you that bad experiences and A LOT of bad complaints ARE the reason why they no longer carry them.

another good reason is that they bought ALL of RAM's stock.i dont know about you, but me, being in the market for a new clutch; means thats what im going with.AND TR's TT vette is running a RAM HD with 550rwhp for awhile now;still running strong.

good enough for me.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:04 AM
TECH Addict

with your mods, you'd more likely need a spec 3 vice a spec 5. now consider this. do u want a new clutch that has added clamping load and more pressue or just a painted stock pressure plate? with the ram your getting a completely different pressure plate and either the 300/900 disk if you go with the powergrip and 900/900 for the PG HD. With spec your paying for a stock pressure plate and the spec disk. Ive had both and i love my ram PG HD! much better than the spec. the pedal is stiffer though, but i got used to it.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for your feedback nino.

my bro is in SD.he;s in the NAVY.just went back.how's the weather?i hope ill make it back there this summer.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:48 AM
TECH Addict

me too. im actually on deployment right now, so i couldnt tell ya what the weathers like