Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Short shifters?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shortshifters?

Hey one of the first mods I am going to do to my LS1 when I get it is a shortshifter. What do you guys recommend? I have a Pro 5.0 on my Mustang and I am happy with it, is the Pro 5.0 good for the Camaros as well? Also, I want a really short shift handle (shaft or whatever you want to call it). Which shortshifter has the shortest handle? Or is there an aftermarket shaft I should look into?
Old 03-11-2006, 06:01 PM

I have the factory Hurst with the UMI performance short stick. It works great. A lot of people di use the Pro 5.0 and like it.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 5.0 and Lou's Short Stick. I love this combination. You can get LSS at Afterthoughts Auto. They are an LS1tech sponsor-------------->
Old 03-11-2006, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
I have the 5.0 and Lou's Short Stick. I love this combination. You can get LSS at Afterthoughts Auto. They are an LS1tech sponsor-------------->
So the Pro 5.0 is a good one for these? I read somewhere that some guy said it was crap so I wasn't sure. Also, ho spongy are the stock shifters? I know on my Mustang the stock shifter was horrible and didn't feel sporty at all.... Are the Camaros the same way? Also, whats the shortest stick available?
Old 03-11-2006, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I currently am using a hurst billet plus, which in itself is okay (pro 5.0 and/or B&M might be more popular for good reasons) for my feel, but I eventually returned to the included length of the aftermarket shifter, which is sometimes at or near the OE length. I also discovered that all of the manufacturers of the shifters now recommend to back completely out on their shift stops, since the T-56 has adequate internal shift stops and the shortening on the stops can yield higher probability of poor gear engagement, which can lead to significant gear and/or synchro damage.

From my observation, even though shorter sticks shortens the length so you will yield yet a shorter shift at the handle itslef, it's shorter length may be trickier to reach than the included ones with the Hursts, Pro 5.0, and/or B&M. I discovered that having the stick handle closer to a "4 o'clock" position with a slightly longer gear to gear shift length, was actually quicker and yielded a more positive overall feel for the shift positions than having a shorter stick that had much shorter gear shifts to engage, but a much longer reach from steering wheel to shifter and the shorter length between the shift engagement positions actually made it trickier to determine the appropriate gear shift positions, since there was practically very little "slack" between them. I didn't realise this until I switched back and forth between shafts several times while AX and RRing.

Just my 2 cents
Old 03-11-2006, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by then00b
So the Pro 5.0 is a good one for these? I read somewhere that some guy said it was crap so I wasn't sure. Also, ho spongy are the stock shifters? I know on my Mustang the stock shifter was horrible and didn't feel sporty at all.... Are the Camaros the same way? Also, whats the shortest stick available?
Do try to replace the OE shifter as soon as possible. From my experience, long shift positions are like 3-point shots in basketball and the feel of fully engaging the gear position is like operating a cheap video game controller. I thought the handle itself was okay, just that I found one that was more fitting to my hand.

I can best describe the OE shifter like a broomstick in a bucket of oatmeal.