Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

McLeod twin disc install done- my comments

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default McLeod twin disc install done- my comments

Clutch install:
I purchased a McLeod twin disc clutch/PP/steel flywheel, 02' SS slave cylinder, poly trans mount, McLeod adjustable clutch master cylinder. I installed the clutch about a month ago. Didnt run into any problems except lifting a T56 on your back on a garage floor = FUN j/k. Note to self- you DO NOT need to bleed the slave cylinder from GM. It comes pre-bled. I made the mistake of trying to bleed it. My buddy laughed and said you do not need to do that. I ran the stock clutch master until yesterday. Night of the install, it was REAL hard to put the car in gear obviously because of the hydraulics. Clutch engaged great. Noticed you cannot feather the clutch like the previous clutch I had in there. It wasn't a matter of being on/off but moreso that you need to release the pedal quicker, since the clutch is more aggressive. I ran into a bunch of 1st gear clutch chatter for the first week or two. This was unavoidable as the clutch discs needed to be broken in. After the 500 mile break in period, the clutch was perfect, minus the getting into gear problem (hydraulics).

Master cylinder install:
Fast forward to yesterday. I installed the adjustable clutch master cylinder. Followed an install article from installuniversity.com along with the McLeod instructions. Removal of the stock unit was easy, drill mod etc. was easy. The hardest part was getting the master cylinder back in the car. I threaded in the supplied bolts, routed the resevioir up, braided line down. I got the master cylinder bolts within a half-inch of the bolt holes. My two friends came down to assist. After two hours of us fighting with it, I gave up and dremeled the one hole in the firewall to make it oval shaped. The master cylinder dropped right into place. I only bench bled the mast cylinder a few times out of the car. Once in, I pumped the pedal three times and it was good to go!

Driving impressions:
This clutch is awesome. The new master cylinder solved all hydraulic problems, engagement is perfect, shifts without issues. Pedal feel is slightly stiffer than stock. I do not forecast a "large left leg" from a stiff pedal. I did a nice burnout and smelled nothing but tire smoke. Power shifting is not a problem, car chirps 3rd, and 4th sometimes (mainly my shitty tires). I have nothing but good things to say about this clutch. It is pricey but will be able to withstand the power I will be throwing at it this year.

Andy
Old 03-12-2006, 02:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what type of setup are you throwing at it right now...... and what type of setup is planned down the road?
Old 03-12-2006, 03:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dame
what type of setup are you throwing at it right now...... and what type of setup is planned down the road?
Right now: Cam, intake, LT's, ORY, catback, pulley, lid = approx. 350rwhp

This summer: Same as above + Procharger D1sc 8psi = approx. 550 rwhp

Next year: Same as above but at 16psi give or take = approx. 750rwhp

Andy
Old 03-12-2006, 07:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did your pedal height come out to be?

Dan
Old 03-12-2006, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DanZ28
Where did your pedal height come out to be?

Dan
I am assuming you mean where the pedal sits released? It is about 1/8" lower (closer to floor) than stock.

Andy

Quick Reply: McLeod twin disc install done- my comments