Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Squeak while textralia clutch is engaging

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 03:07 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kev93z
just did a search and found this post. my textralia is also squeaking upon engagement. if i slip the clutch for the smoothest engagement it wont do it, but if i let it out a lil quicker like normal then it squeaks when it fully engages. this sound is very audible from outside the car and makes my car sound like a POS. i was thinking it was the TOB myself, but i only have maybe 15k miles on the clutch with just bolt ons. just adding my experience......

~~**UPDATE**~~

With 4000 miles on the clutch now, the squeak is getting softer. I can still hear it, but it's not nearly as bad. It took some hard launches and some burning to break it in fully. My advice: Don't baby it like I was doing. Let it burn a little and do some good launches and the clutch should break in.

BTW:
My T/O bearing was replaced when the clutch was swapped. I dont think its the bearings that are squeaking, but its because the clutch is new.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i certainly dont baby my clutch, i only ease it out to lessen the squeak. my noise started 6 months after i had it installed by a reputable sponsor. my problem might be trans related rather than a clutch problem. either way im going to swap to a 4l80e. kev
Old 07-21-2006, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've got a Spec 3 that squeals and chatters. Only chatters on the last little bit of engagement, you know, the most important part if you're trying to take off smoothly? So I either have to dump the clutch and snap the passenger's neck or show off my awesome squealing clutch and wait 3 seconds for, "Is there something wrong with your transmission?" OH GOD THAT PISSES ME OFF!!!!!

Pisses me off too since when I placed the order, I specifically asked for the "new" version spec 3 and speed inc shipped me an old version. but at the time, I didn't have time to ship it back since I had drive half way across the country 3 days later.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i had the same problem after about 1k miles, and now i have 4-5k miles on the clutch. The squeek is still there a little bit, but nothing too major at all. Definetly doesnt effect performance, and seemed to get better after a few trips to the track, and slipping it some.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by kev93z
i certainly dont baby my clutch, i only ease it out to lessen the squeak. my noise started 6 months after i had it installed by a reputable sponsor. my problem might be trans related rather than a clutch problem. either way im going to swap to a 4l80e. kev
Mine did EXACTLY the same thing. My clutch was chatter and squeak free the first few months, but then it began squeaking when you let off the clutch pedal slowly. Right before the clutch engages and fully locks to the flywheel you hear a loud squeak and like stated before.....makes your car sound like a POS. Mine is a little different though.....after the clutch warms up...no more squeak! Now if I dump the clutch and launch hard it would never squeak, not even if it's cold. I have had two brand new textralia complete setups in my car (new pad, PP, flywheel, and PP bolts...only reused pilot bearing and the first slave sent with the first Tex clutch) and they BOTH did the very same thing. I think it's the nature of the beast and I know it doesn't affect the performance at all so I have no worries.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:38 PM
Teching In

i have this problem on my ram HD, the noise is terribily loud, and no idea what it is
Old 09-21-2006, 04:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

my clutch squeels too...also chatters a little bit...spec5....its been doin it from dead stops with slow take off and when i shift quick usually.....been doin it for almost 11k miles
i guess its normal but it still sounds like a newb driver or somethings breaking and its embarassing but i laugh when they look at my car and realize it isnt stock
Old 10-21-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My Textralia just started doing this also last week... Squeak/moan noise when taking off from 1st. If I take off soft enough it won't make the noise. Only does it when it's cold. Anyone figure out what the issue is? There are about 1500 miles on the clutch so far.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:18 PM
10 Second Club

i think its normal, mine does it with only 6k miles on it. only when engaging, always has. seems perfectly fine to me, and i swapped the throwout bearing with the clutch, so its not that.

i think it is normal for a clutch of this capacity
Old 10-21-2006, 11:10 PM
Staging Lane

I had the same noise with my "Z" grip Textralia. It almost sounded like noisy truck brakes while engaging. Thanks to Pete I switched to the "X" grip and no more noise. The "X" grip is a full faced clutch plate versus the "Z"s puck style. The "Z" is the race version while the "X" is the street version. I understand that I gave up a little grip with the "X", but it is plenty to handle my 400whp daily driver that sees occasional track time. The tires still break loose into 2nd and 3rd.

The "Z" still seems like the best choice for the all out max effort car. It just doesn't seem to like to be babied.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
My Textralia just started doing this also last week... Squeak/moan noise when taking off from 1st. If I take off soft enough it won't make the noise. Only does it when it's cold. Anyone figure out what the issue is? There are about 1500 miles on the clutch so far.

Mine is only 6 mos. old and have about the same mileage you have. Mine started squeeling a couple weeks ago and it is concerning me

I dont have a pilot bearing so I know that is not the issue. I have used pilot bushings for as long as I can remember because I have seen too many pilot bearings fail and turn to dust from hard abuse.

I can definitely tell that its coming from the disc/PP/Flywheel when releasing the pedal. You can almost feel the shimmy up through the pedal upon engagement. I guess what I'm worried about is the sprayed-on material on my aluminum flywheel coming off. I have yet to take this clutch to the drag strip, and now I dead afraid to.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

With my old Spec 3 there wasn't any problem. It was just the wear surfaces rubbing together when it started to engage. Whatever combination of materials it was made a squeeking sound (momentarily when it started to engage and only when starting out slowly). I just had to get used to it.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

sure its not your clutch position switch? I have seen people think the squeak that it makes is the clutch...so just checking lol
Old 11-01-2006, 12:02 AM
TECH Resident

My clutch just started doing this after about 4 months of use. It sounds like metal on metal squeak and yes it's embarrassing.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:56 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
sure its not your clutch position switch? I have seen people think the squeak that it makes is the clutch...so just checking lol

My step-dad's old 99 TA used to squeak from there
Old 11-07-2006, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Anyone find a solution to this? Mine is still doing it and it's getting worse!!! It's very loud and I can feel a slight vibration through the clutch pedal when it squeaks/moans. I wonder if Textralia knows about this problem...
Old 11-07-2006, 06:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

did you try to call them?
Old 11-07-2006, 06:46 PM
Launching!

My old ram HD made this exact noise about 2 months before it let go. It also didnt have the proper shim installed.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just got a message back from Textralia and apparently if the clutch is making this noise, then you need to be more aggressive with it to get it to run hotter. This is so the carbon "lubricant" can come out of the pucks to the surface to lubricate the clutch disc. I wish there was a better solution.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Anyone find a solution to this? Mine is still doing it and it's getting worse!!! It's very loud and I can feel a slight vibration through the clutch pedal when it squeaks/moans. I wonder if Textralia knows about this problem...

YES! I finaly called pete at textralia, and he gave me the skinny on whats going on. Problem is, we arent being as agressive as we sould be with the clutch. He gave me the following advice, and IT WORKED:

Do some 2nd gear launches at about 3k rpm, and let the clutch burn. This will burn off any contaminates on the clutch surface

When you are cruizing down the highway, push the clutch in and rev to 4k, and let the clutch out just enough to maintain cuizing speed and 4k rpm

This SHOULD make that squeak go away... for about a week. You will have to do it again, depending on how hard you are on the clutch. Most important thing to know is DONT BABY THIS CLUTCH. Its a fine piece of equipment and its ment to be taken to the track every weekend and burned. If that doesnt happen, you need to burn it on the street.

This is so the carbon "lubricant" can come out of the pucks to the surface to lubricate the clutch disc.
He is right. Burn baby Burn!

Quick Reply: Squeak while textralia clutch is engaging